• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carême - L’art Dix-Neuvieme, hardcover, Vols 1-5?

I find it to be a bit confusing between all the versions but I would like to gather Careme’s work, preferably in hardcover.  With this series, preferably 1 book containing all 5 volumes.  In French, preferably.

Anyway know of such a book?

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

41 minutes ago, paul o' vendange said:

I find it to be a bit confusing between all the versions but I would like to gather Careme’s work, preferably in hardcover.  With this series, preferably 1 book containing all 5 volumes.  In French, preferably.

Anyway know of such a book?

which version are you looking for? aside from what i assume are countless antique versions, there seems to be a 1994 version by payœ (?) as well as a 2015 printing by menu fretin, a french cookbook publisher, that are readily available. the former is a hardcover. the latter might be softcovers, according to amazon, but they do come in a box à la modernist cuisine:

image.thumb.png.f501775f5df6f49efe21fd581366d61b.png

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, jimb0 said:

which version are you looking for? aside from what i assume are countless antique versions, there seems to be a 1994 version by payœ (?) as well as a 2015 printing by menu fretin, a french cookbook publisher, that are readily available. the former is a hardcover. the latter might be softcovers, according to amazon, but they do come in a box à la modernist cuisine:

image.thumb.png.f501775f5df6f49efe21fd581366d61b.png

Thanks Jim.  I did come across it and have it in my cart.  I have volume 1 singly (another publisher, don’t have it handy at the moment) may just gather the other 4 as the total (with another, Royal pastry included) would be about half the cost of this set - though it looks great.

You’re right on the antique books - weirdly, none of the ones I found say if it’s all 5 volumes in the one book or not.  Just being unduly weird about paperback, I think.  I’m such a Luddite in so many ways and somehow feel more «all is right with the world » with a good, heavy hardcover in my hands.  Don’t bring up smoking jackets and single malt.😁

Thanks for the thoughts.

• Like 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

yeah i notice the old version is pretty thick, thicker than any single volume of the new, but it also probably features small type and a distinct lack of pictures or graphics. 

i haven’t read about this book before but i’m pretty curious to find a physical copy and read it myself now

especially since smoking jackets and single malts are right up my alley, haha

• Haha 1