• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Escoffier’s memoirs

Not really a cookbook I know, but I’ve never read it.  For one thing, at Berkeley I studied comparative political and economic development, specifically the dynamics of nationalism and nation-state development in 19th century W. Europe, with Germany’s development into a unified state my emphasis.  I’ve read plenty on the Franco-Prussian war but never from someone who experienced it directly.  That it’s given by Escoffier is nothing short of magnificent.  

The plethora of menus is gold, too, especially what he pulled together for his division under siege and terrible privation.

• Like 6

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais