• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

That wouldn't surprise me - the Cantonese were the original Chinese settlers in NY a long time ago - up until recently, anywhere you went in Chinatown, the defacto language was Cantonese but that's changing now, especially rapidly in the outer borough Chinatowns like Flushing, Queens and in Brooklyn.

Yes. I should have realised.

Yes, Cantonese is being pushed aside, not only in NY. London's Chinatown was Cantonese, but when I visited in 2019, I heard putonghua (Mandarin) everywhere.

My strangest encounter was in Bangkok when I went iinto a small mom 'n pop store to buy something and the elderly couple were chatting in the Liuzhou dialect (a heavily 'corrupted' version of Mandarin). The only people more surprised than me were them, when this crazy westerner joined their conversation in their language!

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, KennethT said:

That wouldn't surprise me - the Cantonese were the original Chinese settlers in NY a long time ago - up until recently, anywhere you went in Chinatown, the defacto language was Cantonese but that's changing now, especially rapidly in the outer borough Chinatowns like Flushing, Queens and in Brooklyn.

Yes, Cantonese is being pushed aside, not only in NY. London's Chinatown was Cantonese, but when I visited in 2019, I heard putonghua (Mandarin) everywhere.

My strangest encounter was in Bangkok when I went iinto a small mom 'n pop store to buy something and the elderly couple were chatting in the Liuzhou dialect (a heavily 'corrupted' version of Mandarin). The only people more surprised thatn me were them, when this crazy westerner joined their conversation in their language!

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

Yes, Cantonese is being pushed a side, not only in NY. London's Chinatown was Cantonese, but when I visited in 2019, I heard putonghua (Mandarin) everywhere.

My strangest encounter was in Bangkok when I went iinto a small mom 'n pop store to buy something and the elderly couple were chatting in the Liuzhou dialect (a heavily 'corrupted' version of Mandarin). The only people more surprised thatn me were them, when this crazy westerner joined their conversation in their language!