• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter 2021 April 4

heidih

A different sort of year with less gatherings. In the lead up I have always been intrigued by Green Thursday Gumbo d'Zerbes liike Leah Chase made https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/leah-chase-gumbo-z-herbes My modest familty tradition was creamed spinach with baked eggs. Lamb in short supply atr market. No crowd coming so I do not know but wondering what others are planning.

• Like 3

The eggs a given in the days when the kids hunted them and then transition to potato salad and devilled. Never had smoked pork tenderloin - do you smoke it yourself? Like the lingonberry sauce. How do you savory it up?. 

18 minutes ago, heidih said:

The eggs a given in the days when the kids hunted them and then transition to potato salad and devilled. Never had smoked pork tenderloin - do you smoke it yourself? Like the lingonberry sauce. How do you savory it up?. 

I use a @rotuts
smoker tube with pellets. Cold smoke about an hour then a sousvide cook. I keep a few in the freezer for emergency guests.

Lingonberry sauce is a couple tbsp jam plus chicken stock plus bacon fat plus a breath of dijon...then I fiddle with it to get the taste right. Bacon fat is key. 

• Delicious 1

In the Before Times, we had a crawfish boil on Easter Sunday. Not as much fun when you aren’t having people over. We (my husband and I, my son and his wife) won’t have our second shots till the week after Easter. Two weeks after that, we’ll get together. 

All that to say I have not yet planned an Easter dinner. 

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

My pod is decamping to a house in Provincetown for Easter week.  We won't be vaccinated yet (well my sister got her first dose but she is the only one so far, the rest of us are not eligible yet), so we cannot/will not eat out.  The fish market has contactless curbside pickup, so I am planning on making tuna bolognese.  Not a traditional choice, but we all like it a lot. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

Easter dinner, like Thanksgiving, is strong on tradition in this house. Baked ham. Potato salad, asparagus, green peas, corn casserole (the one with the Jiffy mix and the sour cream). Deviled eggs. Guess I'll go back to conventional deviled eggs, since the fam likes neither the bacon-and-cheese ones, the smoked salmon ones, nor the ones with the LGD. Or maybe I'll mix them. I do love that leftover deviled eggs lend themselves well to egg salad.

Maybe coconut cake for dessert.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ah coconut cake. Makes me think of the ones done in a lamb shaped mold with plain white coconut as fur and the bed dyed green to rest it in. 

• Like 3

Our Easter dinner doesn't vary much from year to year to avoid revolt. Ham, Schwarties potatoes (from Best of Bridge - I think they are more commonly known as "funeral" potatoes.) Rolls, asparagus, peas, devilled eggs and angel food cake cut into 3 layers filled with lemon curd and frosted with whipped cream. Daffodils in a shot glass in the hole in the angel food cake. This year as a nod to a couple of low-carbers, cauliflower with cheese sauce made with chicken broth, a sploosh of white wine, sharp cheddar, gruyere and sodium citrate. There is alwaysa second dessert which varies from year to year however other than last year we are usually 12-16 people, only 5 this year so a second dessert isn't necessary but may still appear as one of my daughters loves any excuse to bake. (It's genetic.)

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 3

In my area there are many daffodil farms with acres and acres of different varieties. Their main income is from bulbs but they sell the flowers too. Tons of roadside stands with honour boxes. I buy armsful as the are indeed smile inducing!

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, heidih said:

Cool! Trader Joes here brings them in by truckload and sells at door buster prices. Can't get there now unfortunately. Pictures welcome :)

My current batch is looking worse for the wear but I plan on going out tomorrow for more, so will snap some photos.

• Like 1

Looking grim for Easter dinner. Everybody is vaccinated but kids are out of town. Friend is in rehab. Stragglers haven't materialized.

Maybe it'll be an Easter Spam and a six pack.

• Haha 4

FYI: Anyone who's up for an Easter ham, Aldi's house brand, the spiral cut one, has been consistently good. I've bought them for the past several years around Christmas and Easter.

Appleton Farms. Couldn't think of the name.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18 minutes ago, heidih said:

What style is your go to coconut cake?

This is my usual recipe.  Classic, shredded coconut covered layer cake.  When I eat a  coconut cake, I expect it to taste like COCONUT!  I am always disappointed to find a yellow cake with fluffy white icing sprinkled with coconut.  The coconut cakes I make have coconut/coconut extract in every single bit! 

• Like 5

I am in "can things get any worse" mode so I am going with tradition as a luck charm - a kinda green gumbo tomorrow - Green Thursday. All I have is spinach, parsley, and soyrizo but it will be good. Gardeners weed whacked the mallow but I see some nasturtium popping up prettily so what the hey.

Well it is Green Thursday and my cultural roots are tugging.  A green soup and an egg scramble with spinach. Only greens here are Italian parsley and spinach and I see young nasturtium leaves in the big patch.  This Saveur menu appeals - maybe next year https://www.saveur.com/a-green-thursday-feast/ Hampered by limited kitchen access today... I ditched the gumbo - started to sound unappealing.

Anyone else going Green today?

Edited by heidih (log)