• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Limoncello

Mulcahy

I get a lot of lemons this time of year and slice them fairly thin and dehydrate them.  Use the slices in tea and water.  Also as @Anna Nsaid, freezing the juice in ice cube trays and decanting into a zip loc is good too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ambra said:

Why not just lemonade? For the lemon juice I mean. 

A strange thing about Australia is that they don't drink American style lemonade and if you order a lemonade you will get something like Sprite. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful at growing a lemon tree and in this work from home covid world, I can't just pick them up when someone leaves produce in the tea room.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Lemonade - as to North America - it is bleepin cold now! No need for a cooling refresher. I just use the juice as the acid in many preps when it is abundant. The freezing as cubes is great but at some point freezer space could be an issue.  

• 3 weeks later...

We decanted the limoncello on the 1st and chilled it.  Tasted last night:

IMG_5503.thumb.jpg.21ecc44448cff0add5212f83e5fc1fb1.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg.f958e08710d5b57f7cfb346801c9fbaa.jpg

We all agreed that it was tasty but needed a little tweaking.  It needed more lemon flavor – not sure if that means a few extra days steeping or more lemon zest.  Any suggestions?  Also, there was a good amount of cheap vodka burn.  I used Smirnoff for the first bottle (like Katie suggests) and Ketel One for the second.  I think next time I’ll go with both bottles being Ketel One - both Jessica and I are super sensitive to that burn and it did interfere with our enjoyment.  We both finished our glasses, though. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

We all agreed that it was tasty but needed a little tweaking.  It needed more lemon flavor – not sure if that means a few extra days steeping or more lemon zest.  Any suggestions? 

A lot of recipes say to let the ingredients "marry" for about a week or so after sweetening so I'd recommend that you taste it again in a week and see if that affects the burn you are tasting.  I generally use an inexpensive 151 proof vodka for the initial extraction and don't have an issue with the harshness after it's been diluted and rested a while. 

It looks like you used a microplane to zest the the lemons, I don't think you need more than a month for the extraction, though you could try.  I've done all sorts of things when I forgot a batch!

It's possible that the missing lemon flavor is really tartness so you could also try squeezing a little wedge of lemon into your glass to see what you think.  I'm sure it's not at all traditional but I like the addition of the fresh flavor.  

And your glasses are perfection!

Edited to add that this recipe from Kathy Casey's book Sips & Apps is a delicious use of limoncello in a cocktail.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

what do you think the final ' proof ' is ?

that might be the harshness if its too high.

although you really are hoping for someting

' home made '

a drop or two of

Grande Marnier might be helpful 

understanding it Orange based. 

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

It needed more lemon flavor – not sure if that means a few extra days steeping or more lemon zest.  Any suggestions? 

Another option I should have mentioned, especially if you are concerned about a high alcohol burn, is to just infuse the zest into a vodka you find acceptable, maybe giving it a bit longer if you are going with a lower proof option.  Then, just strain and add your sweetener to taste rather than diluting further with additional vodka.  You can add a little water if it's still too "hot" but I'd let it sit a while before you decide if that's needed. 

I went that route using lime zest and tequila and got a nice result. 

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...