• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Chinese Treatment for Okra

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I guess at my next banquet I should request to sit at the head or one corner at each end so I don't poke out the right eye of my neighbor to the left.

Chinese banquet tables are always circular. No corners. Or head.

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Actually I'm pretty sure I could learn to use chopsticks with my right hand if I need to without too much trauma.

I can use either my right or left hands; sometimes both simultaneously.

• Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 3/17/2021 at 5:07 PM, Katie Meadow said:

I admit that I have never had it stewed, which doesn't sound so appealing .

Okra stewed in spicy tomato sauce and in soup is very common around here, possibly the most common methods of making it. It becomes silky and creamy but still has a tender byte, which is quite enjoyable - it also absorbed flavors well. Much better than stewed green beans, which I think is criminal to cook past the squeaky stage. That said, I prefer both vegetables stir fired or sauteed, with some crispness.

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

7 hours ago, shain said:

Okra stewed in spicy tomato sauce and in soup is very common around here, possibly the most common methods of making it. It becomes silky and creamy but still has a tender byte, which is quite enjoyable - it also absorbed flavors well. Much better than stewed green beans, which I think is criminal to cook past the squeaky stage. That said, I prefer both vegetables stir fired or sauteed, with some crispness.

Okra is also used in many Indian style 'curries' where it is stewed. The juices which some people find 'slimy' are a tasty and natural thickener, too.

But I agree that crispness is good, which is why I liked the Chinese preparation. The two minute boil left it cooked, but crisp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Okra is also used in many Indian style 'curries' where it is stewed. The juices which some people find 'slimy' are a tasty and natural thickener, too.

But I agree that crispness is good, which is why I liked the Chinese preparation. The two minute boil left it cooked, but crisp.

Right, I never had an Indian curry with okra other than that I made myself. I did leave quite firm but not very crisp.

As for Chinese prep, I can also see it working well in hot pots, and also as a cold appetizer, maybe with fish-fragrant sauce, or a sesame based one. And also simply stir fried e.g. with garlic and soy sauce.

~ Shai N.

On 3/21/2021 at 4:31 PM, shain said:

Right, I never had an Indian curry with okra other than that I made myself. I did leave quite firm but not very crisp.

As for Chinese prep, I can also see it working well in hot pots, and also as a cold appetizer, maybe with fish-fragrant sauce, or a sesame based one. And also simply stir fried e.g. with garlic and soy sauce.

Okra (Hindi: भिंडी  - bhindi) is very common in curries. Bhindi Bhaji is on almost every menu in UK 'Indian' restaurants. Bhindi masala is also popular. Yes, okra is better still somewhat firm. 

I can't see okra working in hot pots, but the other methods you mention, yes.

I was just interested in posting my friend's method as it is the first I've seen it being cooked here - and it looked so good!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

Hard to get past how good it is sliced, dusted in cornmeal and fried, though. And it makes a marvelous salad when cooked like that and cooled, then combined with sliced dead-ripe tomatoes, cooked, drained crowder peas and barely cooked whole kernel corn and a bit of garlic aioli...

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, kayb said:

Hard to get past how good it is sliced, dusted in cornmeal and fried, though. And it makes a marvelous salad when cooked like that and cooled, then combined with sliced dead-ripe tomatoes, cooked, drained crowder peas and barely cooked whole kernel corn and a bit of garlic aioli...

C@rnmeal and c@rn?!?! What are you trying to do to me?

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It is really good as are CORN tortillas. Known as the bean guy our @rancho_gordo also works with heirloom corn preservation.  Okra with coconut milk and shark is my favorite Carib prep - not stewed into oblivion. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, liuzhou said:

So the corn aversion extends to cornmeal? How sad.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 3/21/2021 at 2:32 AM, liuzhou said:

Suvir made a wonderful okra dish at the late, lamented Devi. I recall thin strips. And indeed...

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/crispy-okra-salad

Okra's been around here in Chinatown for many years. Even my corner guy usually has it. As a matter of fact, this afternoon...

IMG_3803.thumb.JPG.2e8f9fcda9bb2498ef40f8ea6a99c34e.JPG

I'll leave it to your judgement how "fresh" it is.  And at the farmer's market, when in season, they have a beautiful purple okra. Tiny pods.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Suvir made a wonderful okra dish at the late, lamented Devi. I recall thin strips. And indeed...

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/crispy-okra-salad

Okra's been around here in Chinatown for many years. Even my corner guy usually has it. As a matter of fact, this afternoon...

IMG_3803.thumb.JPG.2e8f9fcda9bb2498ef40f8ea6a99c34e.JPG

I'll leave it to your judgement how "fresh" it is.  And at the farmer's market, when in season, they have a beautiful purple okra. Tiny pods.

Looks pretty fresh to me.  

I'm looking forward to trying @liuzhou's friends recipe when (IF) my okra grows this summer.  Last summer I only had enough for one measly meal for some reason.  I blame Covid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/18/2021 at 3:05 PM, heidih said:

With broken bone trauma on right I managed left chopsticks. Aren't the tables usually round?

I'm slow on the uptake, so it's taken me a few days to realize....weren't we talking about pizza? Banquet or no, eating pizza with chopsticks doesn't seem like the best approach. Scissors and a sidecar notwithstanding.

Thanks for this.   I'll try it!     It sounds "right" to me as I grill whole okra very briefly to minimize the "slime" factor.    OO, salt and pepper -> delicious.   

And scissors are very underused in the kitchen.    We definitely prefer scissors for foccacia and pizza.   

eGullet member #80.