• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

39 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Talk about reinventing the wheel. The pizza wheel, that is, the cutter designed to do a real job for a basic price. That "scissors with a sidecar" looks unwieldy and is probably hard to clean. And here's a wild guess: it is made for right-handed people. 

Not particularly hard to clean. No more so than a pizza wheel.

No one in in China is allowed to be left handed*. It messes up communal dining when using chopsticks and 20 people are crammed round a circular table. Also, hand writing in Chinese suffers even more so than in English. Characters are designed to be written right handed.

*Only a slight exagggeration, but very, very few people are left-handed. It is forced out of them, as it was in  western countries until recently.

I used  to be able to estimate how many left-handed students would be in an examination hall when I was in academia. I was usually correct within one or two - even if I gave my 'guess' before the students actually arrived. It was always 10%. In China, less than 1%.

liuzhou

liuzhou

30 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Talk about reinventing the wheel. The pizza wheel, that is, the cutter designed to do a real job for a basic price. That "scissors with a sidecar" looks unwieldy and is probably hard to clean. And here's a wild guess: it is made for right-handed people. 

Not particularly hard to clean. No more so than a pizza wheel.

No one in in China is allowed to be left handed*. It messes up communal dining when using chopsticks and 20 people are crammed round a circular table. Also, hand writing in Chinese suffers even more so than in English. Characters are designed to be written right handed.

*Only a slight exagggeration, but very, very few people are left-handed. It is forced out of them, as it was in  western countries until recently. I used  to be able to estimate how many left-handed students would be in an examination hall when I was in academia. I was usually correct within one or two - evenif I gave my 'guess' before the students actually arrived. It was always 10%. In China, less than 1%.