• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

lots of good pastries to be made with chocolate, not including things like crackers and cookies.

depending on the kind of capital these places have, you would be able to pour bars and store them in a cool box, sold for mostly immediate consumption. it wouldn't even be that expensive to cool as you don't need anything near as powerful as a fridge; you could have a thermostat set to, say, 18-19C. and if you needed to deliver in bulk you could keep cool in an unpowered box for delivery to farmers markets or groceries / restaurants.

On 3/15/2021 at 11:19 PM, pastrygirl said:

I wonder if there is an easy small scale way to press the cacao and separate some of the cocoa butter for use in skin care products. 

i believe @Kerry Beal has one of the piteba expellers but i dunno what sort of extraction percentages she's gotten.

the guy that runs chocolate alchemy suggests that the nutrichef oil press will get you 170-200g of oil per 500g of nibs.

lot of commodity markets go to making cocoa butter but it might be something you could sell especially to artisan / boutique food and cosmetic producers. you'd also get a quality high fat cocoa powder out of that, too, i assume.

edit: obviously without further refinement it'll be brown and smell very strongly of chocolate (personally i consider this a win). depending on whether you refine it, it's great for high-heat searing, too

edit edit: not really suggesting the nutrichef for a commercial operation; there are bigger machines you can get from china for not a million dollars, but it's good proof of concept

jimb0

jimb0

lots of good pastries to be made with chocolate, not including things like crackers and cookies.

depending on the kind of capital these places have, you would be able to pour bars and store them in a cool box, sold for mostly immediate consumption. it wouldn't even be that expensive to cool as you don't need anything near as powerful as a fridge; you could have a thermostat set to, say, 18-19C. and if you needed to deliver in bulk you could keep cool in an unpowered box for delivery to farmers markets or groceries / restaurants.

I wonder if there is an easy small scale way to press the cacao and separate some of the cocoa butter for use in skin care products. 

i believe @Kerry Beal has one of the piteba expellers but i dunno what sort of extraction percentages she's gotten.

the guy that runs chocolate alchemy suggests that the nutrichef oil press will get you 170-200g of oil per 500g of nibs.

lot of commodity markets go to making cocoa butter but it might be something you could sell especially to artisan / boutique food and cosmetic producers. you'd also get a quality high fat cocoa powder out of that, too, i assume.

edit: obviously without further refinement it'll be brown and smell very strongly of chocolate (personally i consider this a win). depending on whether you refine it, it's great for high-heat searing, too

jimb0

jimb0

jimb0

jimb0

jimb0

jimb0

i believe @Kerry Beal has one of the piteba presses but i dunno what sort of extraction percentages she's gotten.