• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stupid question re: air frying batter coated food

Dante

Hi, sorry for the basic question, I still have some things to learn about my fryer

Does anyone out there have any advice on air frying batter-coated food in a way that keeps the batter from sticking to the fryer? 

Haven't tried batter but for crumbs I freeze.

I coat the (chicken/fish/veg/whatever) in egg and toss in crumbs (or usually panko) freeze on a bed of the crumbs.

To cook very light coating of oil and cook from frozen in a dish or solid rack so the heat gets all round. Turn over after a few minutes and even put in a wire basket to finish

I have cooked like this without oil but the crumbs dry out more before the inside is cooked.

I guess you could cook batter on a rotisserie or use really thick batter that wont run, but it is going to make a mess. Bit hard to freeze raw  batter, though i guess it could be done.

When you explore the science of frying it’s hard to believe that an air fryer can accomplish anything even close to the same effect one gets with frying. It will take too long for the batter to form a barrier that would be sufficient to prevent sticking. 

“What creates a crisp crust on fried food?
When food is plunged into hot oil, the water in the food starts to boil and percolate toward the surface. In order for a crisp, dry crust to develop, there must be a barrier between the hot oil and the migrating water. This barrier is typically something starchy. As the starch fries in the hot oil, it dries into a pleasantly crisp shell and protects the moisture beneath. The food inside steams while the coating browns and crisps.”

The dry heat from an air fryer doesn’t seem like it will seal the batter quickly and hence sticking seems inevitable. But having given away my air fryer I have no way of testing my theory!

The quote is from here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The big thing about frying is the conduction of high heat by the oil. 

Air fryers try to duplicate this by super convention fans but really don't come close.

Maybe a Air fryer with steam would do a better job at conduction?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kerala said:

How are they able to do what they promise ie air frying on their adverts?

They can promise anything in vague terms. No consequences.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the secrets is to spray a light coating of oil on the breading (I haven’t tried a liquid batter, but I have done the flour, egg, flour (or panko) dip) before putting in.  The oil conducts the heat nicely to the breading. Typically I don’t bother with the three phase dip (unless it’s something like onion rigs). For chicken and pork I just use the moist meat and coat with panko, put on a wire rack and then into the air fryer. 

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My T shirt site: Guy Bling

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

13 hours ago, Captain said:

There is No such thing as an Air Fryer....  It's just mini oven.😣

I keep trying to tell some friends who are interested in one that yeah, it's an oven. And not a great one, at that.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

They can promise anything in vague terms. No consequences.

Yes the photos imply but the words are not promising anything concrete. Like so many "as seen on TV" miraculous products which will be at landfill or Salvation Army soon. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mgaretz said:

One of the secrets is to spray a light coating of oil on the breading (I haven’t tried a liquid batter, but I have done the flour, egg, flour (or panko) dip) before putting in.  The oil conducts the heat nicely to the breading. Typically I don’t bother with the three phase dip (unless it’s something like onion rigs). For chicken and pork I just use the moist meat and coat with panko, put on a wire rack and then into the air fryer. 

This is exactly what I do.  I spray the items with a light coating of Pam and it seems to help it crisp up and act more like fried food.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Captain said:

I would love to know how they manage to get the whole chicken into the air fryer.  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I would love to know how they manage to get the whole chicken into the air fryer.  

I think a shoehorn may be involved.:wink:

• Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I could easily get one into the BSOA. 

Of course you could! But having once owned a Phillips air fryer I am very doubtful that you could put one in there!

My 2004 eG Blog