• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

I've always used the hard ones softened as one does. When making fried sprng rolls, like working with phyllo - move quickly/do not over handle to avoid gumming up

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Tonight sous vide chicken wing drumettes (165f for 1 hour) sprayed with cooking oil and air fried for around 10-15 min...I dried them out a bit because I was not attentive.  Nice way to do chicken because you aren’t ‘t worried about getting it cooked...more getting I’d brown and crispy.

sorry no picture

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 3

I've done them at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes.  This was back on Oct 5th so don't remember how big they were.

America's Test Kitchen "Air Fryer Perfection" cook book says 400F for 22 to 25 minutes or until 195F internal temp....that seems over kill..I go to 165F

Chuck them in at 385F and check after 20 minutes.

I love my air fryer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bumping up this topic as I succumbed to the lure of the air fryer on this past Amazon Prime Day. Anyone have recent successes or failures to report? My fryer arrived yesterday and so far I have tried Ore-Ida frozen french fries (meh) and Ore-Ida Crispy Crowns (sort of flat Tater Tots, which worked very well.) My next try is going to be doughnuts made out of refrigerated biscuit dough.

• Like 1

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

I'm getting a new type of combination air fryer, rotisserie, oven to test and review.  

I need suggestions of what to make to really put it through its paces.  What are things that are tricky to get right.

I had one of the early air fryers when they first came out, was not impressed, gave it away and I can't even recall what I cooked in it.

This is quite different and considerably larger.

I would really appreciate suggestions and advice from those who have been using air fryers for a while.

1914408706_ScreenShot2019-07-19at2_16_22AM.thumb.png.c6f4455b2f25e53bb1c1a266864e7a5a.png

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

@andiesenji I find battered food tough to get right. It sticks to the grating too much.  I've taken the approach of having a dry "batter" with toasted and seasoned panko that I press into a salted piece of chicken and chill. I've also been having success battering just one side of a piece of meat and having the naked side face the tray.

I'd ( obviously) test fresh and frozen fries and tots and frozen mozzarella sticks and  the like.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@andiesenji I find battered food tough to get right. It sticks to the grating too much.  I've taken the approach of having a dry "batter" with toasted and seasoned panko that I press into a salted piece of chicken and chill. I've also been having success battering just one side of a piece of meat and having the naked side face the tray.

I'd ( obviously) test fresh and frozen fries and tots and frozen mozzarella sticks and  the like.

Yeah, I haven't had much luck with battered foods, and haven't worked at it as much as gfweb has. I have found crab cakes disappointing in the air fryer. They dry out on the outside instead of developing the crisp brown exterior that they would develop in a frying pan, and that happens even if they're sprayed lightly with oil. Whether that's a shortcoming of my air fryer or of what I'm trying to do, I don't know.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Looking through America’s Test Kitchen’s Air Fryer Perfection Cookbook, they list these seven simple uses for an air fryer:

roast garlic, 400f for 20 min

roast peppers 400f for 25 min

croutons 350 for 6 to 10 min shaking every two min

toasted nuts and seeds 150f for 6-10 min

Refrigerator cookies 325f for 10-14 min

crispy shallots 300f for 10-12 min

toasting burger or sandwich bun 400ffor 2-3 min

• Like 4

Thanks for the suggestions.  I asked on a Twitter site  and was advised by several people to  check out the recipes for 

"veggie tempura"  on Eat Plant-Based   I used to make a lot of tempura vegetables in a regular deep fryer but haven't for twenty years or so.

If the photos and the numerous comments are anything to go by, the recipes sound terrific.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

5 hours ago, andiesenji said:

"veggie tempura"

I got quite excited until I looked at the recipe and understood why you had put the quotation marks around it!  Looks like a fun way to eat vegetables but certainly not traditional tempura.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Today was a rainy day project.  During our annual pig roast we cut the trotters off the pig so the spit turns better.  And each year I make Happy in the Kitchen's Trotter Spring Rolls with the most delicious ginger remoulade sauce.  Today was the day to make them.

The trotters are simmered for three hours with onion, carrot, vinegar, wine and herbs.

The bones (all 25 of them per trotter) are removed and discarded everything else (yes all the skin too) is chopped up and mixed with browned onions/soy and a pinch or coriander.

The meat is formed into logs using plastic wrap.  This was a favourite technique of Michel Ricard, RIP.  I used the wrapper rolling technique I documented a couple of entries up thread...makes for a nice neat roll.  

The logs are chilled until firm then wrapped in spring roll wrappers and deep fried.  This year I am going to try them in the Air Fryer because there is enough fat in the filling that not deep frying them may actually them better.  They are in the fridge setting up.

Here's some pictures.  I highly recommend this recipe or even just the ginger remoulade sauce.

DSC03138.thumb.jpg.faa7c710de139c1f77a168490efad607.jpgDSC03139.thumb.jpg.26be2122f00459a43c05d9fc7777a433.jpgDSC03141.thumb.jpg.6d0be9156ea77a6ba2efba30b47681d1.jpgDSC03142.thumb.jpg.fb2d06bded266f71dc3653210fba2176.jpgDSC03143.thumb.jpg.eff5628c90877e9904b061100c0e4742.jpgDSC03144.thumb.jpg.7666fe537f5dbe4fcd47e520091d3788.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

The spring rolls turned out really well.  In about 10 minutes in the air fryer they were ready.  DH commented they were better this way compared to deep frying them.  And yipppeeeee, I have a whole tray to go in the freezer.

DSC03149.thumb.jpg.7eb4b54a7cb3602715415f2f8d27e6e7.jpgDSC03150.thumb.jpg.6021ca5f1cfe1d116e05d8471d27ef27.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

• 10 months later...

It is worth a purchase.  It has amazing range for making things...America test kitchen has a book out if you want To enhance her experience.  I cook chicken thighs in there all the time. Also is so easy on the clean up...Chuck it in the DW.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The air fryer is a MAGIC machine in that it got the housemate to do some REAL cooking!!!

He made some chicken wings (from raw chicken) the other night that were quite good!

And the smoke detector stayed quiet!!! xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 4 months later...

Hi, sorry for the basic question, I still have some things to learn about my fryer

Does anyone out there have any advice on air frying batter-coated food in a way that keeps the batter from sticking to the fryer? 

Haven't tried batter but for crumbs I freeze.

I coat the (chicken/fish/veg/whatever) in egg and toss in crumbs (or usually panko) freeze on a bed of the crumbs.

To cook very light coating of oil and cook from frozen in a dish or solid rack so the heat gets all round. Turn over after a few minutes and even put in a wire basket to finish

I have cooked like this without oil but the crumbs dry out more before the inside is cooked.

I guess you could cook batter on a rotisserie or use really thick batter that wont run, but it is going to make a mess. Bit hard to freeze raw  batter, though i guess it could be done.

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

When you explore the science of frying it’s hard to believe that an air fryer can accomplish anything even close to the same effect one gets with frying. It will take too long for the batter to form a barrier that would be sufficient to prevent sticking. 

“What creates a crisp crust on fried food?
When food is plunged into hot oil, the water in the food starts to boil and percolate toward the surface. In order for a crisp, dry crust to develop, there must be a barrier between the hot oil and the migrating water. This barrier is typically something starchy. As the starch fries in the hot oil, it dries into a pleasantly crisp shell and protects the moisture beneath. The food inside steams while the coating browns and crisps.”

The dry heat from an air fryer doesn’t seem like it will seal the batter quickly and hence sticking seems inevitable. But having given away my air fryer I have no way of testing my theory!

The quote is from here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The big thing about frying is the conduction of high heat by the oil. 

Air fryers try to duplicate this by super convention fans but really don't come close.

Maybe a Air fryer with steam would do a better job at conduction?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kerala said:

How are they able to do what they promise ie air frying on their adverts?

They can promise anything in vague terms. No consequences.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1