Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended Posts

as soon as Spam started the current crop of tv advertising, about 10 lineal feet of supermarket shelf went bare.

not a single can of any Spam/product/variety to be seen....

 

anyone else notice this?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

as soon as Spam started the current crop of tv advertising, about 10 lineal feet of supermarket shelf went bare.

not a single can of any Spam/product/variety to be seen....

 

anyone else notice this?

 

There was no Spam to be found for months around here due to the pandemic.  It seems to be back now, though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SusieQ said:

Spam. Let me count the ways. 

*Hawaiian Saimin

*Emergency rations

Hmm. Guess that's it. 
😃
 

My dog might eat it.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

No shortage here. Hawaiian Japanese and the Samoan community makes keeping it stocked worthwhile for grocers I think, It is oretty good grilled on the Weber for breakfast with eggs.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

suzilightning sent me some Spam when she heard I'd never tried it, bless her heart❤️.  I guess 60 is just too old of a dog.  I didn't mind the flavor, but I couldn't fry it hard enough to get past the mush.  It seems to be in plentiful supply at my stores.  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

suzilightning sent me some Spam when she heard I'd never tried it, bless her heart❤️.  I guess 60 is just too old of a dog.  I didn't mind the flavor, but I couldn't fry it hard enough to get past the mush.  It seems to be in plentiful supply at my stores.  

When I was a kid, I found the trick was to fry it super-crisp on the outside as a complement to the soft inside, much like you get with a well-executed french fry.

...Well,  maybe not "much" like...but you know what I mean.

  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Spam hash

Spam fried rice

 


You're right. I forgot about those. 

I actually do buy Spam sometimes, but like I said, mostly for emergency rations. So Spam fried rice would be one of those. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spam was ubiquitous where I grew up.  I guess you are always accepting of something that was always there.  It was good fried crispy in a sandwich for a quick meal or snack.  I still like it but not as much.  I get some once or twice a year.  Charlie recently made some Korean/Hawaiian Kimchi stew with Spam.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spam never entered our home while growing up.

Truthfully, I have never eaten Spam.  While I will try most everything at least once,

I've never been offered Spam.

On our many trips to the Hawaiian Islands, though, I was always fascinated by the mountains of the stuff displayed in the drugstores there.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, lindag said:

Spam never entered our home while growing up.

Truthfully, I have never eaten Spam.  While I will try most everything at least once,

I've never been offered Spam.

I grew up the same way.  We ate canned hash and corned beef, but not Vienna sausages or Spam.  If you're curious, you don't have to go all in on a full can.  They sell little envelopes of Spam singles for about a dollar.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Cooking Haru video has got me interested in Spam again.  I didn't think that was possible.

Oooh. Thank you for posting this. 

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Cooking Haru video has got me interested in Spam again.  I didn't think that was possible.

I was with it until the Kraft cheese slice.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Different.

But cheese and kimchi?

But our members in Korea have shown us that often. Drinking food.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, heidih said:

But our members in Korea have shown us that often. Drinking food.

 

So the Korean equivalent of poutine?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...