• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bierocks/Bierochs/Runzas

Since we have gotten on the subject of famous local foods I think that it is appropriate that I should write about famous foods in the state where I grew up. In order to do that, regrettably, I will have to admit that I was born in Nebraska. Therefore, this will be one of my shorter posts. According to what I have read lately one of their most famous foods is something called Runza. Growing up, I never heard of them. I have asked family members who are all still in Nebraska (still eating sauerkraut) and none of them have ever heard of it.

Our most famous food invention was Kool-Aid. And as far as I can find out, it is the only one. I am proud to say that it was invented 63 miles from where I was born.

22 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

According to what I have read lately one of their most famous foods is something called Runza. Growing up, I never heard of them.

In neighboring Kansas, our @Shelby makes bierocks/bierochs/runzas  quite often and they look great!  A nice tutorial in one of her blogs, starting here.

When an online cookbook group I participate in covered Shauna Sever's Midwest Made, the Nebraskan Runzas were very popular.  The recipe from the book is available at this link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

A nice tutorial in one of her blogs, starting here.

@Shelby's recipe does look good, but I have to pass. She uses that dreaded s--------t word.

Now that I know that people put this in it, it must be from Nebraska.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
addition (log)
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

@Shelby's recipe does look good, but I have to pass. She uses that dreaded s--------t word.

Now that I know that people put this in it, it must be from Nebraska.

The sauerkraut is NOT traditional.  You can totally skip it!  

11 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You can totally skip it!  

Thank you, that is good to know. A while back, someone gave me a recipe for meatballs that are made with sauerkraut and cranberries (my other most hated food). I skipped that one completely.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Subtraction (log)
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you, that is good to know. A while back, someone gave me a recipe for meatballs that are made with sauerkraut and cranberries (my other most hated food). I skipped that one completely.

Here is another tutorial --I don't know that it's much different....  I highly recommend making these.  Very good and reheat and/or freeze well.