• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

On 3/12/2021 at 12:48 PM, MarkV said:

It was one box of jello and one tablespoon of Cooking Illustrated's pre-prepared xanthan gel. What proportion of jello/gelatin to xanthan gum could cause it to fail entirely to set?

I'm wondering if maybe it was somehow too much liquid. Are gelatin hydrocolloids a thickness continuum, or is there a tipping point where it suddenly goes from somewhat set to not set all?

yeah this is what i mean, how much liquid / fruit did you add to the gelatin and xanthan? one small box of jello, for example, will only make two cups of jello - and jelly isn't much less firm than jello. so if you were using much more than 2 or 3 cups of liquid, total, it probably wouldn't set properly. generally, you'll feel it go from something akin to a free-flowing liquid, to something like a really sticky stock, to something more like jello. how long did you leave the jellies in the fridge for?

jimb0

jimb0

On 3/12/2021 at 12:48 PM, MarkV said:

It was one box of jello and one tablespoon of Cooking Illustrated's pre-prepared xanthan gel. What proportion of jello/gelatin to xanthan gum could cause it to fail entirely to set?

I'm wondering if maybe it was somehow too much liquid. Are gelatin hydrocolloids a thickness continuum, or is there a tipping point where it suddenly goes from somewhat set to not set all?

yeah this is what i mean, how much liquid / fruit did you add to the gelatin and xanthan? one small box of jello, for example, will only make two cups of jello - and jelly isn't much less firm than jello. so if you were using much more than 2 or 3 cups of liquid, total, it probably wouldn't set properly.