• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to eat toast and jam.

Anna N

Toast. And butter. And jam.

toast.thumb.jpg.0c26f9b039062acfa3a8fa56706d3608.jpg

Bread is gluten free. Jam is homemade blackberry, which might better be described as homemade blackberry preserves, given the finished product has lumps of partial or whole berries in it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The article fails to address the most glaring flaw in toast handling. The vertical cooling rack.

Must've been invented by people who like cold toast.

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, kayb said:

Toast. And butter. And jam.

toast.thumb.jpg.0c26f9b039062acfa3a8fa56706d3608.jpg

Bread is gluten free. Jam is homemade blackberry, which might better be described as homemade blackberry preserves, given the finished product has lumps of partial or whole berries in it.

So my guess is that there is so much of the preserves because the bread is not something you really are interesting in tasting?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

When I was 9 or 10 and we were visiting my aunt and uncle in West Plains, Mo, my uncle saw me spread my toast with butter then some jam.  He commented disapprovingly, I think it was something about excess.  Even now, I always remembered that, but it never stopped me from doing it.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

I used to like toast lightly buttered, then a little orange marmalade spread on top. Now, I'm more apt to do a very thin layer of cream cheese and top with apricot or raspberry preserves or jam. I like the way the cream cheese tones down the sweetness. And I'll always use a knife for spreading the first layer, and a clean spoon to dispense the preserves/jam from the jar. Don't want to see crumb leftovers in spreads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

So jam is a less chunky preserve?  Why is marmalade not considered orange preserves then?  Who dubbed it special that it got its own designation!?  😛

Curious to hear everyone's top 5 Jams/Preserves...

In no particular order

- Fig

- Seville Orange (titles be damned!)

- Raspberry

- Cherry

- Wild strawberry

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TicTac said:

So jam is a less chunky preserve?  Why is marmalade not considered orange preserves then?  Who dubbed it special that it got its own designation!?  😛

It's from the Portuguese marmelo, meaning quince. That was originally the main ingredient, before citrus spread from the Moorish-conquered areas of the peninsula.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

yone's top 5 Jams/Preserves...

In no particular order

- Fig

- Raspberry

- Cherry

- Wild strawberry

content lost

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Sad 1

On 3/6/2021 at 2:18 PM, Anna N said:

Of course. This is just a lighthearted take on the food and how we choose to eat it. The writing is extraordinarily good and the food knowledge is deep. I am enjoying every single column and do wish they had been assembled into a book!

Here for those who are interested.

“How to eat

How to Eat is our attempt to settle on the ideal form of classic dishes. The aim is not to establish rules, but to identify an informal code of good gastronomic conduct and have some fun while we're doing it.”

Oh, I love them.  Great essays.  

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

So my guess is that there is so much of the preserves because the bread is not something you really are interesting in tasting?

It's gluten free bread. Not much taste to it.

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Curious to hear everyone's top 5 Jams/Preserves...

In no particular order

- Fig

- Raspberry

- Cherry

- Wild strawberry

I'm not really sure what constitutes a preserve as opposed to a jam. I just know I make blackberry jam and pear preserves. Both have sizeable chunks of fruit in them. My fig jam is smoother, but has seeds. And I make apple butter and peach butter, and have even made pear butter one year when I had a bumper crop of pears.

Favorites: blackberry, fig, apple butter, peach butter, pear preserves.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I used to like toast lightly buttered, then a little orange marmalade spread on top. Now, I'm more apt to do a very thin layer of cream cheese and top with apricot or raspberry preserves or jam. I like the way the cream cheese tones down the sweetness. And I'll always use a knife for spreading the first layer, and a clean spoon to dispense the preserves/jam from the jar. Don't want to see crumb leftovers in spreads.

I agree that the cream cheese as a change from butter can be quite tasty. Not something I do often but I do enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I was sure they would be right up your alley. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

And I should take advice from the people who invented the toast rack, a way to make sure that toast is stone cold before anything spreadable ever gets near it?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

i think some people like fresh toast but at room temp.

soft butter , corner to corner , so the butter does not melt.

not bad 

Hello Oxymoron!

Fresh toast .... at room temp!?  Unfathomable!

• Like 1

excuse me :  very recently toasted , and cooled.

the rooms were so cold it was easy to do.

In England and of course , the coolest place ever , Scotland.

its nice if the bread has good crumb   and the butter is spreadable.

• Like 1

Toast plus as much butter as it will accept without leaving unmelted butter and I agree with the article on a minimalist amount of jelly or jam. Just enough for a touch of sweet and flavor. I have zero issues with toast but given a choice, English muffins over toast every time. They maximize the melted butter holding capacity. 😁

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.