• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steelmade Flat Top Grills

blbskue

Does anyone have any experience with Steelmade Flat Top Grills? Specifically, how to they do with even heat distribution considering the heat is coming from five separate gas burners? Steelmade says:

Do the Flat Tops heat evenly? Are there any hot spots?

The Flat Tops provide even heating because of their very large thermal mass and thick steel construction. We have a Knowledge Base Article that goes into detail including thermal images that you can view here.

I'm just curious if anyone can comment on that. 

I am not familiar with it, but just looked at the webpage, and there page on hot spots concedes that there will be hot spots.  They claim that since their product is thicker than some competitors, the hot spots will be less,  though I think burner size and location would have an impact. I have a 4 burner gas top, and not all of the burners have the same output, and there is a pretty wide space in the middle with no burners,  so I am sure I would see a variation in temperature on my range.  How much variation you will see it tough to tell.  It looks interesting , at the least,  though it is just an oversized version  of   griddle.