• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WinCo Foods

lindag

Friend and I ventured into Missoula yesterday for some appointments, lunch and shopping.

We stopped in at the brand-new WinCo  to have a look around.  The store is enormous!  70,000 square feet!  Bigger than our Costco for Home Depot or Walmart.

Lots of choices.  We picked up a few things, although we're both widows and don't buy a whole lot.  Good prices on everything.  I can see that this store will have a mighty impact on the other chain grocers here.  The only disappointment, there were no King Arthur products to be found and we're both home bakers.

My local WinCo was the first Southern California grocery store where I found frozen whole ducks. Who knew? :)

WinCo's are also employee-owned, which is nice to know.

I am jealous of your brand spanking new store!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

WinCo quickly replaced Ralph's (Kroger) as our go-to supermarket when they opened near us several years ago. My brother in the greater Fresno area had started shopping at WinCo long before we got ours.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I love Winco.  The have an amazing bulk foods section with dozens of choices.  There must be at least 10 different flours, and the dried fruit section is amazing.  They also have goat in the frozen section, along with the biggest pork belly in town and whole legs of lamb.  The store is often criticized by locals compared to the other chains, mainly because they think it is a store for low income shoppers.  They have some low prices, but I go there for the incredible selection.  Also the only supermarket other than the Asian stores that sell frozen, large, head-on prawns.

• Like 2

Before seeing this thread, I'd never heard of WinCo.  They have a store in Ventura so I'll check it out.  I limit my grocery store trips these days but it's still my main form of entertainment so I'm looking forward to the outing!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I got my first vaccine dose yesterday in Ventura, a few miles away from the only WinCo in my area so I went in to take a look.  Verified the whole frozen ducks as mentioned by @Toliver.  They were $2.99/lb.  Also the goat meat, lamb legs, pork belly and frozen head-on prawns that @David Ross mentioned were all there along with beef soup bones and both pork and beef neck bones.  The bulk section is indeed huge, though right now, it's all pre-bagged.  I liked the way much of the produce was set out right in the shipping boxes rather than being arranged into artful piles by store staff.  Less handling and potential for bruising.  

It's a huge store and I didn't take the time to go through everything but I'll go back again.  

Thanks all for bringing it up!  Like I said, I'd never heard of it before.   

• Like 4