• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slightly narrower half sheet pans?

dtremit

I have found myself in a conundrum — we are moving to a new house this month, in which I will eventually be able to renovate the kitchen. Alas, that renovation is likely a couple of years away, so the current kitchen will need to do for the moment.

I'm glad to be moving from a range to a cooktop and wall oven, but the oven in question is an older, 27" electric — and when I peeked inside it the other day, I realized that it is particularly narrow inside. Sure enough, I checked today, and my standard 18 inch wide half sheet pans do not fit.

It's *very* close, though — my rimless cookie sheets, which are less than half an inch narrower, fit just fine. The sheet pan just happens to hit the rails for the oven racks.

While I am tempted to buy a new oven in a fit of feigned rage, I suspect it is probably more effective to replace the pans. I'm looking at some Teamfar stainless ones on Amazon that are 16x12, but I'm curious if anyone happens to have a ~17x12 rimmed pan they love — or perhaps even a deeper one to regain some real estate. (I'd be curious if something like this Sicilian pizza pan might fit, but I think that's probably pushing it on the depth. The oven claims to be a convection oven, so probably good to leave some room for circulation...)

35 minutes ago, dtremit said:

I have found myself in a conundrum — we are moving to a new house this month, in which I will eventually be able to renovate the kitchen. Alas, that renovation is likely a couple of years away, so the current kitchen will need to do for the moment.

I'm glad to be moving from a range to a cooktop and wall oven, but the oven in question is an older, 27" electric — and when I peeked inside it the other day, I realized that it is particularly narrow inside. Sure enough, I checked today, and my standard 18 inch wide half sheet pans do not fit.

It's *very* close, though — my rimless cookie sheets, which are less than half an inch narrower, fit just fine. The sheet pan just happens to hit the rails for the oven racks.

While I am tempted to buy a new oven in a fit of feigned rage, I suspect it is probably more effective to replace the pans. I'm looking at some Teamfar stainless ones on Amazon that are 16x12, but I'm curious if anyone happens to have a ~17x12 rimmed pan they love — or perhaps even a deeper one to regain some real estate. (I'd be curious if something like this Sicilian pizza pan might fit, but I think that's probably pushing it on the depth. The oven claims to be a convection oven, so probably good to leave some room for circulation...)

I can speak highly of Teamfar.  I have about ten twelve Teamfar pans.  However my advice is to take your stimulus and go buy an anova.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker The Anova won't fit a half sheet pan either! 🤣 I'm sure I'll end up with one eventually, but I have trouble justifying replacing the CSO so quickly. And trust me, with a new house, any checks recently and soon-to-be received are long gone. I joked the other day that I should just reconfigure my direct deposit to go to Home Depot.

@gfweb Tried that, no luck. They are the kind that have a curve in them to stop the rack pulling all the way out, so the pan won't go in all the way.

@weinoo For a lot of things a quarter sheet is fine (and I have plenty of them) but the 9" dimension is too small for some stuff. Won't fit under a pie plate or a springform, e.g.

OOC, why do you dislike the shiny finish on the Teamfars? I have a few of their small pans for the CSO and it's never struck me as making much difference.

Edited by dtremit (log)

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

OOC, why do you dislike the shiny finish on the Teamfars? I have a few of their small pans for the CSO and it's never struck me as making much difference.

I think for certain baked things, certainly from stuff I've read, is that matte finishes are better for baking. (Also, I was being "pithy").

What about these...

USA Pan Pro Line Non-Stick Baking Sheet

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo I think the square pan is the ticket. This one looks like it could work really well. The USA Pan looked great but I think the listed dimension is interior -- their website suggests an exterior dimension of 17.75" which is too big.

The TeamFar 12x16 pans are tempting but the reviews all seem to talk about warping. I have noticed that with my smaller sheet pan for the CSO and while it doesn't matter for that size, I think it would be a problem for the bigger ones.

@Paul Bacino that is a very nice looking pan indeed — I may need to start making pizza al taglio! 

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I think for certain baked things, certainly from stuff I've read, is that matte finishes are better for baking. (Also, I was being "pithy").

What about these...

USA Pan Pro Line Non-Stick Baking Sheet

i have nothing to add on sizing but i can't say enough good things about usa pans, generally. really like them.

5 minutes ago, dtremit said:

The TeamFar 12x16 pans are tempting but the reviews all seem to talk about warping.

Well, I didn't wanna mention that! But now that you bring it up, that might be a reason why the larger of the two I have stays in the cabinet.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@jimb0 I've had great luck with them as well — we have a few of their cake pans and have really liked them. I think they also make all the pans sold by King Arthur Flour (at about double the normal list price).

@weinoo if Teamfar made a 12x16x2 I would probably consider it. But without a fully rolled rim I don't think they have the strength in the short sidewalls to keep them square. I probably will get a few more of their small pans, though, as they do great in the dishwasher.

• Like 2

My TeamFar 16x12x1 inch pans and racks fit perfectly in the APO.  I don't recall them warping, although I must admit I have a smaller CSO sized TeamFar that tends to warp if you look at it wrong.  If warping is a problem, stack three or four of the TeamFar pans together.

Not nearly as much of an issue as a warped Darto paella.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou