• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FeChef

FeChef

On 3/1/2021 at 2:37 PM, jimb0 said:

unpopular opinion but i'd probably prefer mushy potatoes in salad. i hate toothsome potatoes.

also if they become too much of a pain you might try adding calcium (e.g. pickling lime, or similar) to your boiling water to crosslink your pectin molecules in the potatoes

This. I hate undercooked potatoes in potato salad. Mushy potatoes just means you need less mayo or less egg yoke.

Over cooking "some" potatoes is also my secret to thickening my chicken pot pie. I chuckle when i read recipes of people adding corn starch to thicken chicken pot pie, when the second main ingredient in the dish is a "starch".

FeChef

FeChef

unpopular opinion but i'd probably prefer mushy potatoes in salad. i hate toothsome potatoes.

also if they become too much of a pain you might try adding calcium (e.g. pickling lime, or similar) to your boiling water to crosslink your pectin molecules in the potatoes

This. I hate undercooked potatoes in potato salad. Mushy potatoes just means you need less mayo or less egg yoke.

Over cooking "some" potatoes is also my secret to thickening my chicken pot pie.

FeChef

FeChef