• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A nice take on Fergus Henderson’s book Nose to Tail Eating

Anna N

Here

“The instructions for the pot roast pig’s head suggest using only half, “as it is a perfect romantic supper for two. Imagine gazing into the eyes of your loved one over a golden pig’s cheek, ear and snout.” Yes. Just imagine. What really matters, however, are the recipes for dishes anyone with an appetite will want to eat: for a soupy stew of white beans and smoked bacon or a pig’s head and potato pie, for a salad of shredded white cabbage and brown shrimps or a steamed lemon and vanilla syrup sponge.”

From @jayrayner  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

Great book! 

I love his beet salad

http://ruthreichl.com/2009/12/red-salad-from-fergus.html/

Thanks. I can admire from afar but for people like me who like prescriptions rather than suggestions…… his recipes can be unnerving.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've had a few of those dishes at St. John and can vouch for the fact that they are GREAT! Oh man, those brown shrimp...

On our second visit, suffice to say that there might've been a dish or two not to Significant Eater's liking.

I like Fergus's books as suggestions (but aren't almost all recipes suggestions?).

As a side note, the last "concert" we went too pre-pandemic was Jay Rayner's Last Supper - he was pretty funny! You know, for a Brit.

• Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?