• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

scratch pasta: noodles or otherwise.

jimb0

one of these days i’m going to have to break down and buy a pasta roller as muscling out the dough is getting less attractive as time goes on. 

i just use ap flour and do a 3:2 by weight of flour to egg yolks, with a little of the white added if the dough feels super stiff. 

F1C182FF-1E55-4F88-9F87-4D0ED0D7D620.thumb.jpeg.9c144cdb1a0265fa71acf25225b937f3.jpeg

often i’ll make a batch, cut it into fourths, shape it into discs, and freeze three of them, which usually gives me a couple of bowls per disc. it can thaw in the fridge and use as normal to no i’ll effect i’ve seen. 

i’m not going to suggest that i’m some pasta master at this point but i’ve gotten enough compliments on it to feel good about finally branching out to stuffed items, so i think that’s next on my agenda. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jimb0 said:

one of these days i’m going to have to break down and buy a pasta roller as muscling out the dough is getting less attractive as time goes on. 

i just use ap flour and do a 3:2 by weight of flour to egg yolks, with a little of the white added if the dough feels super stiff. 

F1C182FF-1E55-4F88-9F87-4D0ED0D7D620.thumb.jpeg.9c144cdb1a0265fa71acf25225b937f3.jpeg

often i’ll make a batch, cut it into fourths, shape it into discs, and freeze three of them, which usually gives me a couple of bowls per disc. it can thaw in the fridge and use as normal to no i’ll effect i’ve seen. 

i’m not going to suggest that i’m some pasta master at this point but i’ve gotten enough compliments on it to feel good about finally branching out to stuffed items, so i think that’s next on my agenda. 

If you have a KitchenAid the pasta roller attachment works quite well.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If you have a KitchenAid the pasta roller attachment works quite well.

cheers. i'll keep it in mind, thanks. i have a 6qt bowl-lift that i need to take apart; i'm pretty sure it's sheared a gear or three inside, but i expect it'll be fixable. in the meantime i've been using a 5qt kenwood.

I sold the really nice Italian hand crank roller/cutter during a tortuous move so...I use the big board grandpa made on the kitchen table so I am using upper body as added oomph when rolling out. It has a backsplash and a front lip to grip table.  I grew up with great grandma using that for the weekly egg noodles destined for a clear beef or chicken broth. She put them to dry on a cloth and stored in a tin with perforations for the week. I was a very young kitchen helper on the chair adjacent. The well of flour as one does, the resting, then rolling. My notes for egg noodles say 1-1/2 c AP flour, 1 egg, 1 egg white, 1 Tbsp olive oil. 1 tsp. salt. My g-grndma did not use oil.  I did once do lasagna noodles for a friend's birthday bash. Alternating spinach and regular sheets based on Time Life Foods of the World Italy (Waverly Root) It was fun and delicious but lost on the boozy crowd. And yes I heartily second @Margaret Pilgrim on Pasta Grannies series. 

• Like 3