• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Combustion Inc Wireless thermometer probe by Chris Young

adey73

I've used the probe 3 times now.   I made meatballs and cooked them at 200-300F with the probe in (so good sized meatballs)

It works quite well - the center of the meatball was not where the point was and it had no issues.  It seems when the microwave was running it disrupted the signal between the probe and the station.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raamo said:

I've used the probe 3 times now.   I made meatballs and cooked them at 200-300F with the probe in (so good sized meatballs)

It works quite well - the center of the meatball was not where the point was and it had no issues.  It seems when the microwave was running it disrupted the signal between the probe and the station.

Glad to hear that True Core did it’s job in the meat balls. I’m a bit surprised that the microwave caused problems. Your microwave does operate at close to the same frequency at Bluetooth, but shielding should keep the RF from leaking out. 

This said, was the display or probe pretty close to the microwave?

4 hours ago, FlashJack said:

@ChefChrisYoung

Thank you for engaging on this.

I made an early pre-order and am waiting patiently. I'm grateful for your clear communication.

Of course, and thank you for being a customer. I think that we’ll ship the last of the pre-orders tomorrow or Wednesday; so if your’s isn’t already on its way, it will be soon.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:31 PM, ChefChrisYoung said:

Glad to hear that True Core did it’s job in the meat balls. I’m a bit surprised that the microwave caused problems. Your microwave does operate at close to the same frequency at Bluetooth, but shielding should keep the RF from leaking out. 

This said, was the display or probe pretty close to the microwave?

The microwave was on the far wall in the other room.

The probe was on the the counter opposite the oven.  Oven is a built in on the wall between the two rooms:

Wall                Wall                                   Exterior Wall 

|Probe    Oven|   dining room Microwave|

That is strange, and makes me wonder if you have a leaky microwave? If things are connected, and you turn the microwave on for a minute and it causes the disconnect, I would guess that’s the culprit. 

A somewhat surprising fact about kitchen appliances like microwaves and blenders, is that they are not required to pass an FCC emissions test and can radiate any amount of radio frequency noise. There are standards are how shielded microwaves are *supposed* to be, but in my experience they often aren’t as good as they’re supposed to be.

When the motor in a blender comes on, or a microwave leaks, it can dump a ton of high energy noise in the Bluetooth spectrum, drowning out other low-power signals.

On 1/28/2023 at 2:31 PM, ChefChrisYoung said:

That is strange, and makes me wonder if you have a leaky microwave? If things are connected, and you turn the microwave on for a minute and it causes the disconnect, I would guess that’s the culprit. 

It's a small unit that we rarely use so maybe.  It's not that old though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2023 at 7:18 PM, Kundepuu said:

At last get my Beta stick...
ChefChrisYoung

when will the Android app be released?
is there a forum for beta testers (users)?

I emailed asking this and the director of porkchops (mike) said soon!  Like maybe this week.

First test of the new toy. 

IMG_5229.thumb.jpeg.5487eb9e8e31d5f7a58261754b67e804.jpeg

IMG_5230.thumb.jpeg.0fa310dca48251fc4531a704f07669e0.jpeg

Kicked in and out a bit because it's inside the Big Green Egg - but most of the time I was getting a reading. 

IMG_5231.thumb.jpeg.697f1eb4353c89f4e56d1fa337f96c6c.jpeg

IMG_5233.thumb.jpeg.7456bceb7172feb230dee035006618bf.jpeg

Now I need to change to degrees C so I don't have to translate every time. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Ok - just laughed my ass off 

Switch between ºC and ºF

Hold temp for 1 second to toggle between American (ºF) and science-units (ºC).

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

@ChefChrisYoung

Hi Chris,

I did my first cook with great success.

It was an unusual moment. I had a whopper rib eye on the bone with lots of flavourful fat that rendered off quickly. I'm used to having little spot fires on my grill but this was a near conflagration. I was worried that the yellow tip might take badly to being surrounded by flame but it came out unscathed.

As a PSA to fellow EGulleters, I don't think Chris has mentioned he is publishing lots of great notes on Reeddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/combustion_inc/

Well worth reading. From there I got the reassurance that the tip is pretty robust against flames and proximity to hot coals.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Mine landed on Friday just in time for the pork butt I was planning on doing yesterday. 

So far I’m REALLY impressed with this device. 

Range is great - happily transmitted from inside my kamado to the display in my kitchen (about 20ft through a wall). 

Battery life is astounding - 11 hour cook and another 12-13h on my kitchen worktop, it was still going strong this morning 

Accuracy is absolutely spot on. Within half a degree of my wired thermapen probes. 

Very happy with my purchase so far

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_6501.jpeg

IMG_0002.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

@Chris Young

So this has been interesting me more and more. I don’t use thermometers a lot to cook apart from smoking in my BGE. For that I have multiple Thermoworks thermometers. Are you guys finding this to be so amazing that if you owned other Thermowork thermometers you’d still want it? 

I’m planning on doing a massive prime rib for Christmas and this thermometer would be the first time I’d probably really use it apart from a few things just to play with. Is it worth waiting until December to order? Better version coming out? Thanks for any input!

3 minutes ago, Robenco15 said:

@Chris Young

So this has been interesting me more and more. I don’t use thermometers a lot to cook apart from smoking in my BGE. For that I have multiple Thermoworks thermometers. Are you guys finding this to be so amazing that if you owned other Thermowork thermometers you’d still want it? 

I’m planning on doing a massive prime rib for Christmas and this thermometer would be the first time I’d probably really use it apart from a few things just to play with. Is it worth waiting until December to order? Better version coming out? Thanks for any input!

I've found mine useful for the times I haven't gotten around to sous viding a chunk of meat and need to do it on the BGE. I can watch from the kitchen - give it a flip and when it is approaching my desired temperature - head out back and take it off. 

Apparently there is a software update coming - not sure what that will do. 

• Like 2