• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Combustion Inc Wireless thermometer probe by Chris Young

adey73

On 1/27/2022 at 8:44 PM, btbyrd said:

Thanks! That had somehow ended up in my spam folder. So it looks like the probe itself is $129 and the timer is $79 if you buy them individually, but the preorder will be for the bundle. $80 seems a lot for a timer, but I guess it has to do some computation to figure out the estimated "ready in" time. But $80 seems a lot for a timer. That price for the probe seems reasonable, especially if you could get 30% off of it. Meh. If the whole shebang was $129 and you could get a discount on that, I'd be all over it. But I think I'll have to sit this one out. Which is a shame because I wanted one and I doubt they'll be this cheap again.

Sign up and it's 60 off which is nice, refer one person and it's 70 off...  So that  makes the timer free basically.

4 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

I don't know if referrals are still going, as an e-mail from Combustion last Monday said that we had until Friday (the 28th) to refer people and have them confirm their e-mail address. But hey... it's worth a shot.

Looks like it - when I go to my status page:

The referral program is over for now. Watch your email for your
unique preorder discount code, good through Feb 14.

Combustion Support <support@combustion.inc>

Email them - seems was a bug - claimed my referrer never confirmed - but had to have to get the email so I provided all that and got a code.

I wonder why they didn't keep the sensitive electronics towards the middle of the probe. Seems like it would have let this thermometer be used for other uses like candy or oil as well. 

You can deep fry the probe and submerge it in liquid nitrogen. It's not a sensitivity problem. I think the main issue is that you need a longer probe for oil and sugar work so you can clip it to the side of the pot and hace it go down into the sugar or oil. This style of thermometer isn't really geared toward that application.

My advice is always to buy the product that's in front of you, not what's coming in an unannounced upcoming revision or in speculative aftermarket mods. And the product in front of us is not a thermometer for sugar work or fry oil (even if it might be useful for deep frying). I don't take this as a knock against it... it's just not that kind of product.

We have a Dot and 2 probes - one is designed to go into a food while it's in the oven... we hardly use that - wired ftl!

The other probe is for oil / sugar - I mostly use it when I'm boiling my raspberries after centrifuging them and adding sugar to get grenadine.  Got some nice video of the probe at 217F while it boils away crazy yet stable.

This new gadget for our kitchen will not replace the dot, but I'm looking forward to using it in sous vide as well as the oven!

Edited by Raamo (log)

17 hours ago, btbyrd said:

You can deep fry the probe and submerge it in liquid nitrogen. It's not a sensitivity problem. I think the main issue is that you need a longer probe for oil and sugar work so you can clip it to the side of the pot and hace it go down into the sugar or oil. This style of thermometer isn't really geared toward that application.

You can do those as long as the first two inches of the probe doesn't exceed 100C, which was sort of why I was asking whether it would have made sense to move the sensitive stuff towards the center. 
I totally get that this thermometer isn't geared for that application but it seems like could have been used as a general purpose thermometer if they had done that. But I guess at that point, just use the thermapen or whatever else you have...:-)

I just preordered mine, because well, it might be fun.

15 hours ago, btbyrd said:

And the product in front of us is not a thermometer for sugar work or fry oil (even if it might be useful for deep frying). I don't take this as a knock against it... it's just not that kind of product.

Just to be pedantic, I don't think one should use this as a deep frying thermometer, the lower half of the probe shouldn't go above 100C/212F. Most of us deep fry above 375F which will definitely fry the thermometer as well..:-).