• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

&roid

&roid

I'm really interested in this, if it weren't for a painful tax bill I'd probably have ordered already. 

Use cases for me are:

• accurate prediction of time to doneness - no idea if this is true till we use it. But if it is, that's massive.  And with the multiple sensors its plausible it will be
  • being able to use in situations where my wired probes (also thermoworks @JoNorvelleWalker) aren't useful - eg sealed in a sous vide bag
  • just being a heck of a lot less messy than the wired setup - admittedly an ultra first world problem but this could replace 2-3 probes, their wires, my thermoworks signals unit and just work right out of the drawer: grab a piece of meat, stick it with the probe and I've got ambient, surface and core temperature monitoring instantly.  That really speaks to my OCD, I can't stand the tangled wires!

&roid

&roid

I'm really interested in this, if it weren't for a painful tax bill I'd probably have ordered already. 

Use cases for me are:

• accurate prediction of doneness - no idea if this is true till we use it. But if it is, that's massive.  And with the multiple sensors its plausible it will be
  • being able to use in situations where my wired probes (also thermoworks @JoNorvelleWalker) aren't useful - eg sealed in a sous vide bag
  • just being a heck of a lot less messy than the wires - admittedly an ultra first world problem but this could replace 2-3 probes, their wires, my thermoworks signals unit and just work right out of the drawer: grab a piece of meat, stick it with the probe and I've got ambient, surface and core temperature monitoring instantly.  That really speaks to my OCD, I can't stand the tangled wires!