• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

On 2/28/2021 at 3:07 AM, adey73 said:

https://combustion.inc

Anyone got thoughts on this?

I have not studied this device thoroughly just a few casual comments:

1. I don't like any "smart" device that tells me how to perform simple tasks.

2. I am not sure how this can be accurate in measuring temperature. Metal conducts heat much faster then meat. Inserting a metal pin into meat will change the meat temperature around the metal. In physics, that is called "The Observer Effect". The act of observing changes the condition of the object you are trying to observe.

3. I am not sure there is a battery inside the pin. Batteries do not last long, especially in heat. Possibly it uses a super capacitor for energy storage. Capacitors do not use chemical changes to store power.

4. This device may not work inside a pressure cooker. The construction of a pressure cooker is similar to what is known as a "Faraday cage". In any case, there is never a need to measure food inside a PC. Food inside a PC will only cook food at one temperature.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

1. I don't like any "smart" device that tells me how to perform simple tasks.

2. I am not sure how this can be accurate in measuring temperature. Metal conducts heat much faster then meat. Inserting a metal pin into meat will change the meat temperature around the metal. In physics, that is called "The Observer Effect". The act of observing changes the condition of the object you are trying to observe.

3. I am not sure there is a battery inside the pin. Batteries do not last long, especially in heat. Possibly it uses a super capacitor for energy storage. Capacitors do not use chemical changes to store power.

4. This device may not work inside a pressure cooker. The construction of a pressure cooker is similar to what is known as a "Faraday cage". In any case, there is never a need to measure food inside a PC. Food inside a PC will only cook food at one temperature.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

1. I don't like any "smart" devised that tells me how to perform simple tasks.

4. This device may not work inside a pressure cooker. The construction of a pressure cooker is similar to what is known as a "Faraday cage".

dcarch