• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

there’s a lot of interesting stuff here. a lot of marketing fluff too, but whatever, every company does that (like, my current probe isn’t as thick as a pencil, sorry).  

so it has bluetooth and wifi built in, which is handy, but it looks like he learned from joule and gave it a physical interface too so that it still works, which is the number one reason i never bought one. 

what’s most interesting to me personally is that it looks like they’ll be doing some funky modelling for cooking like “put your roast in a 500°F oven and we’ll model the rate of change to tell you when to take it out, incorporating the standard overrun, etc” that might otherwise make your food over cooked.

i am a little curious at their discussion of sous vide (do they mean actual sous vide or are just rewriting the definition to mean precision cookery like anova does?). 

pretty interested to know just what it’s 30% off of, though. 

jimb0

jimb0

there’s a lot of interesting stuff here. a lot of marketing fluff too, but whatever, every company does that (like, my current probe isn’t as thick as a pencil, sorry).  

so it has bluetooth and wifi built in, which is handy, but it looks like he learned from joule and gave it a physical interface too so that it still works, which is the number one reason i never bought one. 

what’s most interesting to me personally is that it looks like they’ll be doing some interesting modelling to cooking like “put your roast in a 500°F oven and we’ll model the rate of change to tell you when to take it out, incorporating the standard overrun, etc” that might otherwise make your food over cooked.”

i am a little curious at their discussion of sous vide (do they mean actual sous vide or are just rewriting the definition to mean precision cookery like anova does?). 

pretty interested to know just what it’s 30% off of, though.