• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What happened to Canadian butter?

FauxPas

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I very much enjoy those butters but in Canada they are extremely dear so a rare treat.

You should get a discount.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

To the Canadians following this ropic:  both Independent and Loblaws have Lanctantia butter on sale this week for $2.99 a pound.  Stated limit of six or, put another way, 6 at a time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

To the Canadians following this ropic:  both Independent and Loblaws have Lanctantia butter on sale this week for $2.99 a pound.  Stated limit of six or, put another way, 6 at a time.

Damn - good to know - will head there on the way home today!

• Like 2

Nice. In my neck of the woods it's ADL/Dairy Isle in the flyer this week. Still good butter, but not quite as desirable.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

22 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Dairyland here and $3.49, but still a good buy! Thanks!

• Like 1

Metro has Lanctantia on sale this week for $3.44.  Not as good a price as Loblaws last week but still pretty good.  Probably won't see it on sale now anywhere for a while.  These things seem to go in cycles.  

27 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Metro has Lanctantia on sale this week for $3.44.  Not as good a price as Loblaws last week but still pretty good.  Probably won't see it on sale now anywhere for a while.  These things seem to go in cycles.  

Got 12 lbs at $2.99 at Zehr's on Tuesday. I like to get the lanctancia squares - wonder if the $3.44 includes the entire Lanctacia range? It's $5.99 at my closest Metro. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Got 12 lbs at $2.99 at Zehr's on Tuesday. I like to get the lanctancia squares - wonder if the $3.44 includes the entire Lanctacia range? It's $5.99 at my closest Metro. 

Zehr's sale would have ended yesterday and Metro started today.  I assume by squares you mean sticks?  I like those also but I have NEVER seen them on sale and the Lanctantia butter is one sale I look out for.  The odd time I have gotten a raincheck and John will go pick up the butter a week or so later.  The man has no shame.  He will pick up the sticks and when he goes through the cash he has never been questioned.  That is the only time I get sticks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Zehr's sale would have ended yesterday and Metro started today.  I assume by squares you mean sticks?  I like those also but I have NEVER seen them on sale and the Lanctantia butter is one sale I look out for.  The odd time I have gotten a raincheck and John will go pick up the butter a week or so later.  The man has no shame.  He will pick up the sticks and when he goes through the cash he has never been questioned.  That is the only time I get sticks.

Smart man! Would only work with the rain checks.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I read in The Economist that cows are being fed vegetable oil to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.  Methane in particular.  I guess no one considered the effect on butter.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou