• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

this is perhaps against the grain of most here but i almost always use the bag juice in its entirety, especially if i don't have some kind of other sauce in mind. some spices or salt and pepper, reduced/browned in the skillet in high heat, add fat or liquids as necessary and (as @btbyrd intimates) in the vitamix or stick blender to re-emulsify. generally works well, especially if you end up doing a sweet sauce (heavy spoon of tomato paste, some vinegar, mustard, and some kind of sweetener and you've got a quick and meaty bbq sauce, for example). i don't bother straining, that's too much work.

meat can be kept warm as suggested in an open bag in the water bath, or a warmed-and-turned-off oven, covered to keep moisture in. the sauce only takes five minutes to bring together so it's hardly going to be there for long.

jimb0

jimb0

this is perhaps against the grain of most here but i almost always use the bag juice in its entirety, especially if i don't have some kind of other sauce in mind. some spices or salt and pepper, reduced/browned in the skillet in high heat, add fat or liquids as necessary and (as @btbyrd intimates) in the vitamix or stick blender to re-emulsify. generally works well, especially if you end up doing a sweet sauce. i don't bother straining, that's too much work.

meat can be kept warm as suggested in an open bag in the water bath, or a warmed-and-turned-off oven, covered to keep moisture in. the sauce only takes five minutes to bring together so it's hardly going to be there for long.