• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

added more info

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

That being said, I've argued for years that manufacturers are missing an obvious bet with these units. Why not make one with a simple, faux-analog dial that anyone can understand and come to grips with?

Totally agree.   This is why I own the cheapo Oster countertop oven and the not-so-cheapo A4box induction cooker; oh and my Chefman airfryer.  They all use dials.  Those digital membrane buttons also crack and peel as the plastic ages and then quit responding.

I have several portable induction hobs.  I find cleaning the cooking surface with 70% IPA on a paper towel does really well.   It cuts through greasy smears easily.

I've cooked using brown craft paper between the hob and pan to keep the mess down.  I just recently used a baking silpat in that way also and it worked fine.

lemniscate

lemniscate

added more info

That being said, I've argued for years that manufacturers are missing an obvious bet with these units. Why not make one with a simple, faux-analog dial that anyone can understand and come to grips with?

Totally agree.   This is why I own the cheapo Oster countertop oven and the not-so-cheapo A4box induction cooker; oh and my Chefman airfryer.  They all use dials.  Those digital membrane buttons also crack and peel as the plastic ages and then quit responding.

I have several portable induction hobs.  I find cleaning the cooking surface with 70% IPA on a paper towel does really well.   It cuts through greasy smears easily.

I've cooked using brown craft paper between the hob and pan to keep the mess down.  I just recently used a baking

silpat in that way also and it worked fine.

lemniscate

lemniscate

Totally agree.   This is why I own the cheapo Oster countertop oven and the not-so-cheapo A4box induction cooker.  They both use dials.  Those digital membrane buttons also crack and peel as the plastic ages and then quit responding.

I've cooked using brown craft paper between the hob and pan to keep the mess down.  I just recently used a baking

silpat in that way also and it worked fine.