• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do your food preferences make you an outcast in your own family or ethnic group?

In reply to the original question, I have fallen out of love with Indian sweets, although I loved them as a child. Jalebi, boli, halva are all too sweet for me now. They're not inedible, I just don't enjoy them-surely the whole point of sweets.

I also can't stand jeerakavellam or cumin tea, which is often the only water served in rural areas of Kerala. Once on pilgrimage as a boy, I was exhausted and dehydrated after a long climb, and the only thing available to drink was jeerakavellam. I drank it thirstily then promptly vomited it all back up. Never again.

Edited by Kerala
Typo (log)

In Nova Scotia you'll see three distinct styles of blood sausage/pudding from three separate waves of European arrivals. One is Acadian-French, one is Scots-style, and the third is German. The French and Scots parts of our history are well known, the German bit perhaps less so...the crown wanted white, Protestant European settlers, so ol' King George just shuffled a few of his German subjects to his New World holdings (more or less as a modern CEO would transfer a few hundred employees to or from a newly-acquired subsidiary after a merger).

The town of Lunenburg, otherwise best known as the home of the Bluenose, was a center of German settlement and still produces the region's best sauerkraut (M. A. Hatt & Sons, of Tancook Island) and a German-style blood sausage, aka "Lunenburg pudding."

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning