• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

24 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

we were lucky

Yeah, we were relatively poor, too, but growing up on a farm definitely had its advantages. We were never short of food. The one thing that I was really nostalgic about was something that my mother called 'Stirum'. It was like a thick eggy pancake that she fried on both sides and then chopped up into 50 Cent size pieces and fried until they were golden brown. Then we ate it with butter and homemade syrup or just butter and salt and pepper. I asked her once for the recipe and she said that she wouldn't give it to me because it was poor people food and she hoped that I would never have to make it. I loved it. I guess it was an actual food because I have found it on the internet but the recipes aren't anything like what she made. No matter what I have done, I can't replicate it.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

18 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

we were lucky

Yeah, we were relatively poor I, too, but growing up on a farm definitely had its advantages. We were never short of food. The one thing that I was really nostalgic about was something that my mother called 'Stirum'. It was like a thick eggy pancake that she chopped up into 50 Cent size pieces and fried until they were golden brown. Then we ate it with butter and homemade syrup or just butter and salt and pepper. I asked her once for the recipe and she said that she wouldn't give it to me because it was poor people food and she hoped that I would never have to make it. I loved it. I guess it was an actual food because I have found it on the internet but the recipes aren't anything like what she made. No matter what I have done, I can't replicate it.