• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grain-free uses for a Zojirushi rice cooker?

Hassouni

I've stopped eating all grains and pretty much all other carbohydrates (except non-starchy veg and a few fruits), but I have this rice cooker from my previous life:

image.thumb.png.78a63c9deb229de7be764ccd85e921c3.png

What other things can I make in such a machine? I see a lot of people say they make great hard boiled eggs, or steamed anything, or whatever, but I suspect those are for the more basic rice cookers with a non-sealing lid. 

Zojirushi's own website isn't much help - all its recipes are rice based!

Anyone have any suggestions? Otherwise it's going to a friend's house.

• Sad 1

My take >>>>> friend's house    You can manipulate it but you know how to cook and assuming you have basic pot(s) hardly worth the time unless for curiosity. Without time and method guidelines you would have to babysit it which negates the convenience factor. Good luck with yu new eating plan. As usual others may have different ideas.

• Like 2

The cynic in me says "Those suckers are expensive...wait 6 months until you're eating grains again."

(After low-carbing/keto-ing for three years my GF is eating balanced meals again, is beginning to slowly lose weight - which didn't happen on the diets - and she has reversed the frightening spike in her cholesterol levels. YMMV.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

31 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Including booze???!!!?!

Worthwhile beer, almost all cocktails*, and many ciders are out.

Dry cider, dry wines, and neat spirits are perfectly fine - I'm just drinking a lot less overall though

*I'll still micro-taste cocktails for my bar, and I'm doing some tests to determine the best low-carb sweetener for the holy trinity of rum, lime, and sugar. It's between allulose and erythritol, respectively, each bumped up to sucrose levels of sweetness with a bit of monkfruit, for anyone interested.

48 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I'll have to check if my particular cooker has a time function rather than specific presets, but this looks like a good start!

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

The cynic in me says "Those suckers are expensive...wait 6 months until you're eating grains again."

(After low-carbing/keto-ing for three years my GF is eating balanced meals again, is beginning to slowly lose weight - which didn't happen on the diets - and she has reversed the frightening spike in her cholesterol levels. YMMV.)

I don't see resuming my old eating patterns ever again. I've decided this time it's for life. I've been getting very good results from it, and for a few months now have done nothing but obsess over the science and research of the physiology and biochemistry of the whole thing. I know way, way more now than I thought there was to know in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hassouni said:

I'll have to check if my particular cooker has a time function rather than specific presets, but this looks like a good start!

I do chicken soup in mine. Chicken parts, aromatics, water. 2 cycles of the “brown rice” setting ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

If the tablespoon of pepper doesn’t do you in then the faffing about surely will.

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I would be too nervous to try other things in mine!  Quite frankly we use it multiple times a week for Haiga rice (with a little one who has Celiac, we have moved from channeling our Italian roots and onto our Asian heritage....if there is any!) and I would be hesitate to muck it up.

Given you are off grains completely (good for you, whatever reason is prompting it!) perhaps its time to experiment with it (and report back)!

One can also bake bread in it according to this but if you’re off grains all together then that would not really be an option. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

to be honest i'd sell it and buy an instant pot or other electric pressure cooker. if you already have one of those, sell the zoji anyway and buy some other fun kitchen device. 

5 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Worthwhile beer, almost all cocktails*, and many ciders are out.

Dry cider, dry wines, and neat spirits are perfectly fine - I'm just drinking a lot less overall though

*I'll still micro-taste cocktails for my bar, and I'm doing some tests to determine the best low-carb sweetener for the holy trinity of rum, lime, and sugar. It's between allulose and erythritol, respectively, each bumped up to sucrose levels of sweetness with a bit of monkfruit, for anyone interested.

i find the occasional beer is still totally worth it, but that's another subject.

tbh i recommend a mix of sweeteners (as do others here). any single one will rarely live up to sugar for one reason or another, but together you can generally get a good experience.