• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mustards - The Prepared, Dijon Ones

weinoo

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Totally forgot that it was Amora who pushed so much mustard through our pantry with its rotating Character glasses, although Amora is not a kid-friendly mustard unless one is French or German, I would think.    Surprisingly, we easily got through all this mustard!   

2092901366_ScreenShot2021-02-18at2_18_20PM.thumb.png.f80c295d7ed8871b44796fc422194f14.png

Omg, major flashback!  We had several too!  Fantastic you still have them!

That wasn't chicken

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

That's one way to look at it. Another might be called hoarding!

You don’t have grandkids.   These have all been acquired “by special request” within the past 5 years, and better hire a goid defense lawyer should you get rid of or break one.

• Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You don’t have grandkids

Well, I don't think I do...

If you have a Simpsons one, they're going for $35 on ebay...RARE The SIMPSONS UNOPENED AMORA "DIJON MUSTARD" GLASS JAR- FRANCE/1997

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

These have all been acquired “by special request” within the past 5 years, and better hire a goid defense lawyer should you get rid of or break one.

Your grandkids have certainly figured it out!

• Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

19 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Well, I don't think I do...

If you have a Simpsons one, they're going for $35 on ebay...RARE The SIMPSONS UNOPENED AMORA "DIJON MUSTARD" GLASS JAR- FRANCE/1997

They are way post Simpsons, and we have nothing collectible “mint in box’.

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Your grandkids have certainly figured it out!

You got that one right, Sherlock!

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

7 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

They are way post Simpsons, and we have nothing collectible “mint in box’.

I was just hoping you still had the mustard.

• Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

As i've mentioned in the Mustard and China topic, any mustard is difficult to find here - I  can only buy in the overpriced "foreign food" supermarket attached to the city's main department store.

By preference, I go for Maille - either whole grain or regular. When they are out of that I go for Clovis.

20210219_085844.thumb.jpg.77e81e765da228a00e5bc6399d8a08a1.jpg

655883451_Wholegrainmustard.thumb.jpg.95c478269f8b2a0cb5cf6e34f75388f5.jpg

Sometimes, they only have this German brand, made Dijon style. It's acceptable.

mustard.thumb.jpg.3f60dda171b4549f7424afbe6669534b.jpg

Only once did I find this! A 20g miniature. Not Dijon, though.

1041841738_HotEnglishMustard.thumb.jpg.bb9ad7d6994746035c0a514de4e2387a.jpg

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, Nyleve Baar said:

They are not growing the mustard between the grape vines. They are getting it from Canada. 80% of mustard seed used to produce Dijon mustard are grown in Canada. 

What happens to the acres of mustard we see in fields and among crops in mid France?

eGullet member #80.

2 minutes ago, Nyleve Baar said:

They are not growing the mustard between the grape vines. They are getting it from Canada. 80% of mustard seed used to produce Dijon mustard are grown in Canada. 

As is the rape  - brassica napus.  

37 minutes ago, Nyleve Baar said:

Yes, and all the good pizza and bagels are made in NYC!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

36 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

What happens to the acres of mustard we see in fields and among crops in mid France?

They might use some of that for moutarde, but not nearly enough for the mountains of moutarde that they export. 

One year we went to Italy...I specifically was looking for the stuff that they really use to make Mostarda.

IMG_3593.thumb.JPG.23229fa8be690daa767a087831e23fe5.JPG

Purchased in a pharmacy, and probably as bad to bring in as fresh milk cheeses...

IMG_3592.thumb.JPG.a509d8c5e05132f9c13fa6c160049e8c.JPG

You don't want to get a whiff of this stuff.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

One year we went to Italy...I specifically was looking for the stuff that they really use to make Mostarda.

I bet @Kerry Beal will be green with envy if she sees this. I know she spent much time and effort trying to get someone to bring this from Italy for her. No doubt she has moved on from mostarda now so unless she can weaponize it....

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

I bet @Kerry Beal will be green with envy if she sees this. I know she spent much time and effort trying to get someone to bring this from Italy for her. No doubt she has moved on from mostarda now so unless she can weaponize it....

She has people she wants to use mustard gas on???

This is interesting, about the mustard that Fallot produces...

https://www.fallot.com/en/la-moutarde-en-bourgogne/#moutarde-de-dijon

In fact, the members of the association have decided to offer a product that is distinct from Dijon Mustard, which has become a generic name which is produced just as well in a number of other countries such as Holland, the United States or Japan, as it is in France.

Manufactured from seed grown in Burgundy and combined with AOC Burgundy wine, "Burgundy Mustard" is a product deeply rooted in Burgundian soil.
To give the consumer a guarantee of the origins of the product they purchase, as well as to enhance the work carried out by an entire commodity sector, the association has decided to place its product within the framework of a certificate of conformity as set out in the Law of the 30th January 1994 relating to the recognition of food products through Protected Origin Identification.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 2/18/2021 at 9:24 AM, heidih said:

Oh it sneaks into many dishes for me as well. I've been tempted to order some from Philippe's. since not getting to DTLA anytime soon. That is sinus clearing yet addictively flavorful. https://www.philippes.com/store/philippe-s-hot-mustard-1.html

OMG Phillippe's mustard! Since leaving LA I crave it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 3:18 PM, heidih said:

Oh yes. No idea where my mugs disappeared to along with my grainy mustard crocks (with the red wax seal). I used those ad a en/pencil holder. People in the office would come over and fondle it ostensibly needing a writing instrument!

I find that in the mustard world, the german mustards are very under represented. I bought "The Complete Mustard" by Robin Weir, only to discover that there was no mention of any German mustard or mustard inspired dishes from Germany.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, heidih said:

We did not use it in dishes (Austrian Hungarian background) but at German festivals Senf was ever present and de rigueur for the brats in buns. 

The northern german mustards (dusseldorf et al) vs the southern (Bavarian) are quite different, and I would really enjoy an in-depth introduction to the various styles.