• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mustards - The Prepared, Dijon Ones

weinoo

There's an old thread about mustard, and there's a current thread about mustard-forward Chinese dishes. Here's a hope that this thread will be different and more helpful in my search (and your's too) for some good, really spicy and nose tingling, prepared Dijon mustard.

Last year in Paris around this time, we had the classic Céleri Rémoulade:

1670903696_BrasserieBellanger2020-02-14lunch.thumb.jpeg.f04fa9d4bfdd6dfd7f546e1e7094005b.jpeg

Which is on the bottom right, eaten at a brasserie we greatly enjoyed.  This version was sinus clearing, pungent with great mustard. I want mustard like this!

I make this salade often; it has become a go-to during the winter root vegetable season. (The carrot salad has mustard in it too).

1618298752_Celeriacarottes12-12.thumb.jpeg.8deda4463887ca92038a447137548fe4.jpeg

Lebovitz's recipe is my starting point; the recipe in his book slightly different than the one linked here, but both call for a good couple of tablespoons of mustard (the book version has both coarse (seedy) mustard and classic). Yet recently I haven't been able to get it as spicy as I remember the brasserie's version. As an aside, when we were flying home, I bought a crock of mustard at the airport (possible Pommery, possibly Fallot - who can remember) which was really nice and spicy. Here at the hacienda, I have many mustards: Pommery in the big crock. Fallot in various size jars - one just opened as a a matter of fact. Maille. Roland. None of these approach what I really want from a mustard for this dish.

Years ago (2015, to be exact) our friends at Cook's Illustrated did one of their tastings of Dijons. A nice, informative article, as was their usual. However, that sneaky bastard bum Kimball (because he didn't think he was yet worth enough) wouldn't let you see the results, putting them behind a pay wall. HAH!

20895368_Mustards(3).thumb.jpeg.e1fb2c5c42ab213fbbb5adc9e479bf71.jpeg

So I've tried the top 3, and while they're good, they're still not the best. Or they're not the real deal being searched for. And for some reason (maybe availability?) they didn't try Fallot or Pommery.

A long post to end up with - what's your favorite Dijon mustard, and why? And IS IT SPICY?

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I use Poupon ( Ina Garten's fav) and Maille.

I can't say that either are all that strong. It wouldn't surprise me if the French place made up their own from powder.

I put a little dijon in a lot of sauces....too add a depth of flavor on the back of the tongue.  You can't taste the moutard, but would know if it were missing.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4

Good topic.    We have gone on several mustard hunts.    The Maille shop in Paris where crocks are filled with mustard on tap (classic Dijon, white wine, whole grain).  The Fallot factory in Beaune, where we bought interesting safron infused mustard which combined with creme fraiche  and butter makes a incredible sauce for scallops.    But after many jars of both these and other premium brands, we now rely on Amora which is cheap and quintessential.   

447977614_ScreenShot2021-02-18at8_16_43AM.thumb.png.5a4128d224cc2e83f6ec4f57d2891595.png

What we've learned is that you need a good, strong classic mustard you can tweak yourself rather than proprietary seasoned blends, probably a good rule for most products..   

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.

Im perfectly happy w TJ's branded mustard

from Dijon.  

I have a sneaky suspicion its the same ( ish )

as the Trois Petits ,   I have not tried them sid by side

but its the same jar and label format.

I may have read that somewhere Long Ago 

or made it up Back Then .

I also like Maille .   But BackThen  didn't go to the trouble to

find it else where  ( not @ Tj's ) and won't be doing that any time soon.

there is a grainy mustard @ Tj's , and that's fine for me.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

The Fallot factory in Beaune

I can echo the praise for the Fallot mustards. My favorite is the gingerbread variety - mellow, but with a superb flavor and a great base for sauces accompanying game and fowl ...

2B924A22-DE82-4917-9618-024474667046.thumb.jpeg.142e437058737e7f2a339d62e5d4759f.jpeg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I can echo the praise for the Fallot mustards. My favorite is the gingerbread variety - mellow, but with a superb flavor and a great base for sauces accompanying game and fowl ...

2B924A22-DE82-4917-9618-024474667046.thumb.jpeg.142e437058737e7f2a339d62e5d4759f.jpeg

We were introduced to pain d'epices Fallot mustard at a chambre d'hote in Chalon where it was used in their vinaigrette.   Superb!  

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

@weinoo 

there is Mustard from Burgundy ?

who knew ?

and they didn't plant Pino Noir 

because ?

a lot of very traditional 

"" House's ""  

have been purchased 

probably but maybe not

by a Bazillion Trillion-Are

fill in the blanks your self

to be to be a Trillion-Air

you " count the Beans yourself '

the hire other to do it yourself,

I'm a Fallot fan. The basic original is always within reach. Today for our main meal we are having a wacky hybrid which only gets made if we have leftover flour tortillas. A hot dog gets the blistered grill treatment and then is swaddled in a warm tortilla along with a very mustardy (heavy on the Fallot!) slaw and a few pickled jalapeños tossed in for good measure. Yes, it is kinda weird. Baja State Fair addictive weird. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

there is Mustard from Burgundy ?

who knew ?

and they didn't plant Pino Noir 

Perhaps if you didn't spend so much time at Trader Joe's, and studied your geography instead...

I think mustard plants are probably good for the grapes.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

We grew up on Amora and though I've never done a heat test w several I've sampled from the above list, I remember it having that extra kick.  

Not a dijon but I quite like the all purpose Alstertor Dusseldorf german style. (Don't ask how many mugs I have.  I can't bring myself to throw them out : )

image.png.fa1891c71c6a121144d00759d9ddae4e.png

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

23 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Not a dijon but I quite like the all purpose Alstertor Dusseldorf german style. (Don't ask how many mugs I have.  I can't bring myself to throw them out : )

Oh yes. No idea where my mugs disappeared to along with my grainy mustard crocks (with the red wax seal). I used those ad a en/pencil holder. People in the office would come over and fondle it ostensibly needing a writing instrument!

17 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh yes. No idea where my mugs disappeared to along with my grainy mustard crocks (with the red wax seal). I used those ad a en/pencil holder. People in the office would come over and fondle it ostensibly needing a writing instrument!

Sometimes we'll split a beer with dinner (so we have room for more, less heavy, alcohol after). They're the perfect size.

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

2 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

We grew up on Amora and though I've never done a heat test w several I've sampled from the above list, I remember it having that extra kick.  

image.png.fa1891c71c6a121144d00759d9ddae4e.png

Totally forgot that it was Amora who pushed so much mustard through our pantry with its rotating Character glasses, although Amora is not a kid-friendly mustard unless one is French or German, I would think.    Surprisingly, we easily got through all this mustard!   

2092901366_ScreenShot2021-02-18at2_18_20PM.thumb.png.f80c295d7ed8871b44796fc422194f14.png

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.