• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans Style Barbecued Shrimp

patti

For non-Louisianans, this dish has nothing to do with actual barbecue.

16 jumbo shrimp (12 per pound, about 1 1/2 pounds), with heads and shells. 
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce 
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons) 
2 teaspoons ground black pepper 
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper 
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning (Tony’s or other)
1 teaspoon minced garlic 
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed 
French bread as accompaniment 

In a large skillet combine shrimp, Worcestershire, lemon juice, black peppers, Creole seasoning, and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until shrimp turn pink, about 1 minute on each side. Reduce heat to moderate and stir in butter, a few cubes at a time, stirring constantly and adding more only when butter is melted. Remove skillet from heat. Place shrimp in a bowl and pour sauce over top. Serve with French bread for dipping. 
Yield: 4 appetizers or 2 entrees

Head on shrimp are preferred, as there is so much flavor from the heads. However, de-headed, as pictured, is also good!

F65D6E3E-8794-4DA9-A9E2-BBF5F9F960BB.thumb.jpeg.d7000106a9478f056388c4886a9154a9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Dried parsley flakes. Not mentioned in the recipe, I was just trying to add a bit of color! The Creole seasoning should just be a spice blend, like Tony Chachere’s or other. 

• Like 2

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.