• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello!

LMA

Hi,

Thanks for having this forum and having me on it. I have been a music teacher and musician most of my life (I still am). I had to suddenly leave my job at my local school district due to a freak accident (a student accidentally kicked a basketball into the back of my head), which gave me a TBI. Three years into recovery, I am ready to pursue my passion for pastry arts. I have been decorating cakes for about 10 years off and on, but my kitchen is way too small to do it regularly, especially since COVID has forced my family (actually 'invited' my family) into the kitchen to make several meals per day.

I have recently discovered a love for chocolate making, and am building up my knowledge base, skills, recipes and techniques. I would love to attend a hands-on program when both my kids (ages 17 and 14) are in college, and/or when it is safe to do so. Right now I am enrolled in the Professional Chocolatier course online at Ecole Chocolat, and also subscribe to Callebaut's Chocolate Academy Online and as many chocolate-related forums and groups that I can find. (I would love more recommendations on this!)

I will be mostly a student here, so thank everyone in advance for the advise which I will get from you!

Laura

• Like 5

Welcome, Laura. I'm not much of a dessert baker, but read about them all the time as there are many enticing photos and posts from members of eGullet.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

• Like 1

Welcome to eG, Laura!  You will find lots of assistance and support here.  You've probably already seen that we have many excellent candymakers (I am not one of them😁) and they are wonderful about sharing their knowledge.  I'm looking forward to your contributions.  

• Like 1