• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide risotto

FeChef

Update: Don't listen to chefsteps on using ziplock brand freezer bags at temps 194F. After 25 minutes im wondering why there is still a good inch of liquid above the rice. I give it another 10 minutes and take it out just to realize theres a pin hole. I then try to salvage it and the bag breaks before i can even get it to a bowl. 

USE VACUUM BAGS!

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Sad 1

Another Update: I tried again with a vacuum bag. used 1 cup rice and 2 1/2 cups liquid (chefsteps called for 3 cups liquid per cup of rice) There is still an inch of liquid above the rice after 25 minutes at 194F. 

Edited by FeChef (log)

Luckily i think i can salvage the risotto. I was also doing rack of lamb so i had another sous vide going at 132F so i put the bag in there and it looks like its absorbing the remaining liquid without too much damage to the texture of the rice. For future cooks, i'll stick to traditional, or maybe try my instant pot.

Could it be a problem with the type of rice?

Just for fun I checked some risotto recipes on the anova site.  Most call for 2 1/2 - 3 cups of liquid for 1 cup of rice.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Could it be a problem with the type of rice?

Just for fun I checked some risotto recipes on the anova site.  Most call for 2 1/2 - 3 cups of liquid for 1 cup of rice.

It was rice specificly for risotto.

2021-02-14.jpg

1amushroomrisotto.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FeChef said:

I eventually nailed it as you can see, but don't expect great results following the chefsteps recipe to the "T"

What what your final method?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What what your final method?

I did the 25 minutes @ 194F then i put it into a 132F bath for probably 30 minutes, Then into the Wok i sauteed the mushrooms and shallots in ( i luckily had them reserved) until the liquid was evaporated. (about 10 minutes).

Again, i would not recomend this chefsteps recipe, and i will stick to tradtional, and at least try the instant pot recipe. I might bump this thread when i do. I just don't want people to see my results and assume chefsteps had anything to do with the final results because their results were laughable.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Thanks 1

BTW, i just want to point out, i went by volume, not weight. I used a solid volume cup for the rice, and a liquid cup for the liquid. I may revisit this and use weight by grams, but i just want to point out chefsteps used both weight and volume in their recipe/video. 

• Thanks 1

It's hard to see why, unless one is doing production amounts of risotto, it isn't easier to cook it classically on the stovetop. It doesn't need to be stirred constantly nor hovered over, yet it can be tasted during cooking for salt, and then hovered over and stirred towards the end, and brought to one's exacting taste and texture. No two rices are the same, each rice absorbs a different amount of liquid, etc. etc. 

It just seems (in my opinion) so much more complicated to do it via sous vide. Sort of a solution seeking a problem. Or maybe I'm not seeing the problem.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

It's hard to see why, unless one is doing production amounts of risotto, it isn't easier to cook it classically on the stovetop. It doesn't need to be stirred constantly nor hovered over, yet it can be tasted during cooking for salt, and then hovered over and stirred towards the end, and brought to one's exacting taste and texture. No two rices are the same, each rice absorbs a different amount of liquid, etc. etc. 

It just seems (in my opinion) so much more complicated to do it via sous vide. Sort of a solution seeking a problem. Or maybe I'm not seeing the problem.

I agree. Making risotto isn't such a chore and the SV method is no quicker than in a pan.

• Like 1

a way that works well

assuming g you get the correct rice

is in a fuzzy logic rice cooker

learned this from

The Ultimate rice cooer cookbook

why do i mention it here?

I see nothing thing wrong w trying an effective SV method

its an interesting method to learn and master

FRC method involves carefully measuring the water ::: rice

for the correct raatio

then the difficult part : pushing the correct button.

you do stir from time to time if you want.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2