• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Porthos

Porthos

Beside the fact that I prefer cooking with gas, the pragmatic side of me likes the idea that during power failures* the burners can still be used with the aid of matches or long-neck butane lighters like you find in the camping section.

My Sweetie and I MUST have a kitchen that 2 or 3 people can cook in, which may not be necessary for you. We chose our current house, purchased 36 years ago, based on the kitchen. The house we plan to retire to has a great kitchen with a large walk-in pantry. If for you the  kitchen is the most important room of the house, then by all means make that your top priority.

More than enough counter space for your needs and wants seems like a good thing to look for.

* my disaster planning is never far from my mind.

Porthos

Porthos

Beside the fact that I prefer cooking with gas, the pragmatic side of me likes the idea that during power failures the burners can still be used with the aid of matches or long-neck butane lighters like you find in the camping section.

My Sweetie and I MUST have a kitchen that 2 or 3 people can cook in, which may not be necessary for you. We chose our current house, purchased 36 years ago, based on the kitchen. The house we plan to retire to has a great kitchen with a large walk-in pantry. If for you the  kitchen is the most important room of the house, then by all means make that your top priority.

More than enough counter space for your needs and wants seems like a good thing to look for.