• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

3 hours ago, jedovaty said:

I looked these up.. aren't they pretty much english muffins?  I know there are various ways to make english muffins (some people use yogurt, I follow a variation of the Model Bakery recipe, etc), but it's pretty much fully proofed dough that is pan fried... ?

perhaps. ime though a touton is generally thicker and is explicitly fried in grease (often rendered salt pork fat, but not always) while english muffins are usually dry-fried

some restaurants will also do deep-fried toutons, like a savoury yeast doughnut (though newfoundlanders find this controversial)

jimb0

jimb0

3 hours ago, jedovaty said:

I looked these up.. aren't they pretty much english muffins?  I know there are various ways to make english muffins (some people use yogurt, I follow a variation of the Model Bakery recipe, etc), but it's pretty much fully proofed dough that is pan fried... ?

perhaps. ime though a touton is generally thicker and is explicitly fried in grease (often rendered salt pork fat, but not always) while english muffins are usually dry-fried