• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advice needed on expired frozen ham

Kim Shook

We are doing some cooking for my in laws.  The last time that Mr. Kim was out there, my MIL gave him a spiral cut ham from her freezer and asked it I would cook it for them.  When we looked at the tag, it was dated January 2019!  I don't know for sure if it was frozen as soon as it was purchased.  I'm leaning to tossing it and secretly buying them another one.  Mr. Kim's sister says it should be fine.  Mr. Kim is cheap, so he's leaning to his sister's point of view 😄.  What say you?  Mr. Kim has agreed to abide what the eG folks say.  Ta!

Was it vacuum sealed? I the date a "best by"
 date? You have to defrost it anyway to cook it. Thaw, smell, take a taste would be my take before tossing. Sure opinions will vary.. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 4

Assuming it was still good when frozen, then it depends on how well it was wrapped and how cold the freezer is.  If it's a non-self defrosting freezer (like most chest freezers) and it was wrapped well and kept really cold (say -10F), it should be just fine.  If it was in a self defrosting freezer, maybe not since the temperatures in those types of freezers fluctuate which could create ice crystals.  I don't think it would be spoiled, just not as juicy as it should be since it would probably leak a lot of moisture during the defrost.

• Like 1

It is still in it's fancy purple metallic commercial wrapping.  I was supposed to cook it today for Mr. Kim to take out there tomorrow, but the snow/freezing rain has put paid to that.  I'll unwrap it in a few days and check it out.  Thank you all for your help!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...