• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maria Guarnaschelli, influential cookbook editor, dies at 79

Toliver

"Maria Guarnaschelli, influential cookbook editor, dies at 79"

Maria Guarnaschelli, an indomitable cookbook editor who forged a new canon of kitchen classics and brought her exacting tastes — both literary and culinary — to undertakings including a massive update of the time-honored tome “Joy of Cooking,” died Feb. 6 in Manhasset, N.Y. She was 79.

She was Chef Alex Guarnaschelli's mother. I saw the name and knew it from Chef Alex's work (and being featured on a lot of Food Network shows).

Maria sounded like a force of nature, something I sometimes see in Chef Alex's appearances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Wow 

a big loss

i did not know she did so many things that mattered  :

""""   

Working with Levy Beranbaum on “The Cake Bible,” she insisted that the book include metric weights, which afforded more exact measurements of flour and sugar than the cups and tablespoons more commonly used in American kitchens. 

“Who but Maria would have had the daring to publish a cookbook with charts and weights and put her heart and soul into the work,” Levy Beranbaum wrote in a tribute to Mrs. Guarnaschelli. They worked together on seven volumes, Levy Beranbaum said in an interview; ‘The Cake Bible” is today in its 56th printing.   

• Like 4

I knew of her work editing The Cake Bible before I'd ever heard of her daughter Alex; the first few times I saw Chef Alex in action on TV I wondered if she was related to the Maria of the Strawberry Maria cake in the book!  Such a loss.

• Like 3

On 2/18/2021 at 4:05 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Really nice remembrances of Maria Guarnaschelli on last week's episode of Dave Arnold's Cooking Issues podcast.  

Dave is joined by Alex Guarnaschelli, Rick Bayless, Kenji López-Alt, Jim Lahey and Harold McGee.

Available to listen at this link

When I saw this, I wondered if she was the cookbook editor that Dave, and perhaps others, were raving about on a show just couple of months or so ago.  I am a little behind on my episodes, but I guess I will find out soon.  Then again, it sounds like they had quite an episode this week so I may have to listen out of order.

• Like 1