• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks 2021

heidih

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 5:16 AM, weinoo said:

I have enough Lidia books, but I've always like Pati and have none of hers!

I like Pati also and just noticed that the Kindle version of her 2016 book Mexican Today: New and Rediscovered Recipes for Contemporary Kitchens (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently available to Prime members for free. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Honkman said:

Looks interesting but it seems to be free for Kindle Unlimited (which is not part of Prime) - or am I missing something?

I still see it listed in the catalog available for Prime Reading (which is part of Prime.) 
Not sure if this link will work, but this is the list of cookbooks I get when I search Prime Reading

Edited by blue_dolphin
To fix link (log)
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I still see it listed in the catalog available for Prime Reading (which is part of Prime.) 
Not sure if this link will work, but this is the list of cookbooks I get when I search Prime Reading

I did have to download the Kindle app (via Amazon, I guess), but these books are now on my iPad for free.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

More of a memoir than a cookbook, eG member Carolyn Phillips' At the Chinese Table: A Memoir with Recipes (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is on my wish list.

81vx2Rj5F6L.thumb.jpg.eb2d88ef15b117664441cc296740239b.jpg

Review here.

I have a copy home from work.  Have not started in on it.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 4/13/2021 at 3:22 AM, Vapre said:

Gang, y'all aready got your Somekind releases? Haven't got mine yet.

Maybe it's because I did 4 (Sonoratown, Hop Woo, porridge + puffs, and Kato).

Edit: Looks like the holdups are Hop Woo and p + p: https://somekindpress.us/pages/pre-order-book-progress

Got an email today saying porridge + puffs has been cancelled. The other 3 have already showed up.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 11:10 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a copy home from work.  Have not started in on it.

I'd be interested in any reactions you care to share.

She was very kind in acknowledging me in her last book All Under Heaven (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) for a miniscule contribution I made in answer to a question she asked. I have that book here. But English language books are not easy to find here and I can't pop home to pick a copy up!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

She was very kind in acknowledging me in her last book All Under Heaven (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) for a miniscule contribution I made in answer to a question she asked. I have that book here. But English language books are not easy to find here and I can't pop home to pick a copy up!

I started reading yesterday.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 6:27 AM, liuzhou said:

The chapter on how to prepare a pig's head was informative.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Information we all need! Should be taught in junior school!

There are parts of the U.S. where that is part of a child's practical ed by observation. And blowing up a pig's bladder as a balloon toy. https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/make-a-pig-bladder-ball-zmaz83sozshe

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The chapter on how to prepare a pig's head was informative.

Especially the part about how to clean its ears!

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/4/2021 at 2:14 AM, Vapre said:

Got an email today saying porridge + puffs has been cancelled. The other 3 have already showed up.

Well that's a bummer. I have the Sonoratown and really like it only a handful of recipes but they are good ones. I'm looking forward to picking up more in that series. Which are your favorites?

On 8/11/2021 at 1:16 AM, AAQuesada said:

Well that's a bummer. I have the Sonoratown and really like it only a handful of recipes but they are good ones. I'm looking forward to picking up more in that series. Which are your favorites?

Out of the 3 in the original order (Sonoratown, Hop Woo, and Kato) I think I like Kato the best. They break down what worked and did not work (mostly what didn’t work) for them + recipes. None of these volumes are super-loaded with recipes but that’s ok, the origin/behind-the-scenes stuff is just as interesting. I had the option to be refunded for p + p or pick an already-published volume so I went with Ides. They talk about what worked and didn’t for their black box dessert and they give the component recipes. At this point it’s mainly aspirational for me as it involves LN and I don’t have a dewar or other storage system, but it’s still cool to read about.

Edited by Vapre (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere, I think we had some discussion of this article, The Cover Story: Why You Rarely See British Cookbook Covers on American Shelves.  I couldn't find it but the book that I want to mention is a 2021 release so I'll put my comment here.  

Claudia Roden has a new book that not only has different US and UK cover design but also different titles.  

The UK version, published yesterday is simply titled Med: A Cookbook, with a graphic cover design that looks fresh and appealing to me:

Med.thumb.jpeg.28163ecafa5ed7e538fd89006c54ea52.jpeg

The US Edition, not out until 26 Oct 2021, is titled Claudia Roden's Mediterranean: Treasured Recipes from a Lifetime of Travel (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  The cover design isn't awful but looks a bit dated to me and the subtitle makes it sound like this might be a re-hash of recipes from her previous books.

Mediterranean.thumb.jpeg.35216fe3af2ced27f30596937c7bb25c.jpeg

If I decide to order, it will be the UK edition!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

If I decide to order, it will be the UK edition!

Yup. Not likely to have volume measurements!

Edited to add That the UK Kindle edition is not available in N. America. 

Edited by Anna N
Expand on post. (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Claudia Roden has a new book that not only has different US and UK cover design but also different titles.  

That is quite common for all kinds of books. I have one friend (British) who bought Fuchsia Dunlop's "Sichuan Cookery" and loved it so much that, when she saw another book called "Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking" by the same author, she had to have that, too.

When it was delivered she was disappointed to discover it she now had two copies of the same book - the only minor difference being that weights were in grams in the UK version but in some obscure medieval concepts like 'cups' and 'taels'or some such in the US version.

When Dunlop published 'The Food of Sichuan' later, my friend was suspicious. Quite rightly. It is a revised version of the two she already has. It too, has the same slight differences between the USA and UK versions, but the same cover.

It has been translated and to my amusement the Chinese name is 川菜 which is a direct translation of the first title, 'Sichuan Cookery'!

Here is my battered and splash-stained copy of the first title.

fuchsia.thumb.jpg.20e8e48e0ae9dc92c83886de61f6e88d.jpg

and the third in the UK version

1355508730__20210904190020.thumb.jpg.cbb2ef0d9189d836c73027fb76f69fe9.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto