• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks 2021

heidih

On 4/25/2021 at 7:38 AM, Katie Meadow said:

Perfectly cooked is only half the trick. Note that Jacques tosses off the words "fresh from the garden" as if we all have our plot just outside the kitchen screen door. Getting fresh tender and tasty beans is at least half the battle. Mediocre beans do better the long-cooked southern way with something porky and ripe tomatoes.

One thing I didn't know: beans no longer have strings. No wonder my husband is so fast at string bean prep.

Yup have not encountered strings in years. Just top and tail or I sometimes simmer whole so they absorb less water and dip in soy/m,ayo. Shared by a farmers market vendor.

On 4/25/2021 at 10:38 AM, Katie Meadow said:

Perfectly cooked is only half the trick. Note that Jacques tosses off the words "fresh from the garden" as if we all have our plot just outside the kitchen screen door. Getting fresh tender and tasty beans is at least half the battle. Mediocre beans do better the long-cooked southern way with something porky and ripe tomatoes.

One thing I didn't know: beans no longer have strings. No wonder my husband is so fast at string bean prep.

Some beans I've purchased at the farmer's market (practically fresh from the garden when in season) have strings; I think they call them heirlooms.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 4/25/2021 at 10:38 PM, Katie Meadow said:

One thing I didn't know: beans no longer have strings.

Having just spent a good while destringing beans, I beg to differ! They always have strings here, not that I mind really.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Joshua McFadden and Martha Holmberg, authors of one of my favorite cookbooks, Six Seasons: A New Way With Vegetables (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), have a new book, Grains for Every Season: Rethinking Our Way with Grains (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) to be published on 12 Oct 2021.  I have pre-ordered.

Thanks for this. I've been trying to vary my grains and your recommendation adds eight to the option.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 11:52 AM, weinoo said:

Some beans I've purchased at the farmer's market (practically fresh from the garden when in season) have strings; I think they call them heirlooms.

I have spent the last four years looking at every farmers market and every produce stand I pass for Kentucky Wonder green beans, which are the beans we used to grow in the garden. They decidedly have strings, have a very textured, nubby pod that is slightly fuzzy. And when cooked for a couple of hours with a hamhock or a piece of salt pork, they offer up the most exquisite flavor you can imagine -- sort of earthy and sweet, full of umami at the same time. 

Most of the stringless varieties, I'm good with a five-minute cook. There's a sort of flat green bean that lends itself fairly well to a long, slow cook, but it doesn't approach the flavor of a Kentucky Wonder.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

41 minutes ago, kayb said:

There's a sort of flat green bean that lends itself fairly well to a long, slow cook, but it doesn't approach the flavor of a Kentucky Wonder.

Romano bean?

I used to grow KY Wonders as well. They were great.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@AAQuesada 

I have this book !

its a true delight .  it was gifted to me and i thoughtly enjoy it

of course , you have to be partial to The French !

I live in FR for two years , and 2 years in Spain.

Id love to see a  "  Let's eat Spain ! " 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

On 5/6/2021 at 3:40 PM, weinoo said:

Romano bean?

I used to grow KY Wonders as well. They were great.

I think that's correct.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 hours ago, rotuts said:

I live in FR for two years , and 2 years in Spain.

Id love to see a  "  Let's eat Spain ! " 

Thats fantastic, what an experience. I lived in Spain for 6 months doing my 'practica' after culinary school. I love it. There are some good Spanish cookbooks but nothing as good as 'Let's eat France!'

• Like 1

Just discovered this one: Nigel Slater’s, A Cook’s Book, due to be released in October 2021. 

“He writes about how his cooking has changed from discovering the trick to whipping cream perfectly, to the best way to roast a chicken. He gives the tales behind the recipes and recalls the first time he ate a baguette in Paris and his first slice of buttercream-topped chocolate cake.” (taken from the description on amazon.ca.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

nice pick up.  thank you

NS is the real deal

I have th Books and his various video series

he knows his way around a kitchen

and has thought out his Rx's

rarely done any more 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Just discovered this one: Nigel Slater’s, A Cook’s Book, due to be released in October 2021. 

“He writes about how his cooking has changed from discovering the trick to whipping cream perfectly, to the best way to roast a chicken. He gives the tales behind the recipes and recalls the first time he ate a baguette in Paris and his first slice of buttercream-topped chocolate cake.” (taken from the description on amazon.ca.)

I love reading Nigel's books and journalism and often want to try his recipes. However, they always, always include one non-optional ingredient I can't get!

Not his fault at all!

I spent a large part of today, searching for rhubarb for one of his recipes. It does grow in China. One of my favourite things to eat. But can I buy it?

Well, yes. But only the dried roots in traditional Chinese pharmacies. I weep!

rhubarb.jpg.bc2f1debc60d72f328950950db1a4394.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Well, yes. But only the dried roots in traditional Chinese pharmacies. I weep!

Oh dear. I feel your pain.

I can just lose myself in his written words even if I don’t attempt a single recipe. Even though I do not garden and have no interest in gardening, he makes me wish it were otherwise. Strangely, I don’t enjoy watching him. 

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Oh dear. I feel your pain.

I can just lose myself in his written words even if I don’t attempt a single recipe. Even though I do not garden and have no interest in gardening, he makes me wish it were otherwise. Strangely, I don’t enjoy watching him. 

I read pretty much everything he writes, frustrating as it is, but I don't recall ever seeing him. I suppose I could search some video out, but maybe, I just prefer the written word.

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

I suppose I could search some video out, but maybe, I just prefer the written word.

Yes, you can never unsee or  unhear him! I am quite sure it is just a peculiarity of my own. It is not as if he has horns or warty skin or sounds like Mr. Magoo. 

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yes, you can never unsee or  unhear him! I am quite sure it is just a peculiarity of my own.

I've watched one short YouTube video of a salmon and cream sauce recipe this morning and see nothing objectionable. But I understand those irrational loathings; I have a few myself. Can't share this one, though.

• Like 1

I don't think this has been posted, yet:

"Bittman Bread: No-Knead Whole-Grain Baking for Every Day" (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Nov. 2, 2021  

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 4/12/2021 at 10:03 AM, blue_dolphin said:

In my post above on recent acquisitions, I want to call out 2 books by Max Halley, owner of Max's Sandwich Shop in London.  I ordered them after listening to a Zoom author event hosted by cookbook shop NowservingLA in support of his recently published Max's Picnic Book.  Max was interviewed by Zach Brooks, market manager of Smorgasburg LA.  Max is an absolute hoot and didn't really need an interviewer.  I was laughing out loud through most of it.  An archived version of the Zoom session can be accessed at this link or on Nowserving's recorded events page here

Here's the publisher's blurb on the book:

If it's a fraction as entertaining as the interview, it will be a very fun read. 

There's a preview of the book available here on Eat Your Books

Here's a video of Max making the Make a Ham, Egg, and Chips Sandwich from his shop.  

https://youtu.be/fsnSvcnrTJM

I'm just now thumbing through this book --I'm laughing very hard.  He's describing different types of bread and what he uses them for.  When he gets to sourdough he simply says that it "can go f*** itself" 

🤣

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm just now thumbing through this book --I'm laughing very hard.  He's describing different types of bread and what he uses them for.  When he gets to sourdough he simply says that it "can go f*** itself" 

🤣

He really cracks me up!  I love the intro his Dad wrote for the sandwich book.  It can be viewed via Amazon's "Look Inside" feature here: Max's Sandwich Book (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Max recently partnered with a UK chip/crisp maker to put out a booklet of sandwich recipes featuring their products: Walkers Sandwich Recipes with Max Halley

Between that and the book, I'm now totally a fan of putting potato chips or other crunchy stuff into sandwiches.  Trader Joe's has some crispy jalapeño slices that are excellent for this as are the shoestring potato stix that I had to order from Amazon 🙃 

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

A little information here.

Thanks. One can only hope that the language of the book itself rises above the level in its promotional material. 

“The Devil's Dinner is the first authoritative history of chili peppers. There are countless books on cooking with chilies, but no book goes into depth about the biological, gastronomical, and cultural impact this forbidden fruit has had upon people all over the world. The story has been too hot to handle.”

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog