• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

2 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

You could look at vegan pie crusts - they most likely use a vegan shortening/butter substitute or the one on the blog My Quiet Kitchen has one that is GF, DF and oil free.  I looked at it a while ago when we had someone ask for a DF/GF fruit tart 😉 but then they decided against it so we didn't end up making it.  (It uses almond flour if a nut allergy  is an issue)

but op's issue is fat, and there's really no way that they have anything approximating a traditional pie crust that is also low in fat. it might be a vegan fat (e.g., almond flour), but it's still fat. i bet it's delicious - almond flour is tasty - but i've never had anything from anyone made with almond flour that ate like a traditional pie crust. i expect it's more akin to  a chewy cookie or graham cracker crust in texture (which is not necessarily a complaint, all those are delicious, but they aren't really pie crusts in the sense of them here, i think).

jimb0

jimb0

2 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

You could look at vegan pie crusts - they most likely use a vegan shortening/butter substitute or the one on the blog My Quiet Kitchen has one that is GF, DF and oil free.  I looked at it a while ago when we had someone ask for a DF/GF fruit tart 😉 but then they decided against it so we didn't end up making it.  (It uses almond flour if a nut allergy  is an issue)

but op's issue is fat, and there's really no way that they have anything approximating a traditional pie crust that is also low in fat. it might be a vegan fat (e.g., almond flour), but it's still fat.