• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Toliver

Toliver

Forgot the last parenthesis

This is my understanding of Spring Rolls versus Egg Rolls...

Spring Rolls are wrapped in softened rice paper and they are not usually cooked/fried. In my local Vietnamese Restaurants, they are usually served with a peanut sauce for dipping. 

Egg Rolls (not Chinese but American Chinese) are always fried and are usually served with that nuclear pink sweet sauce in my local American Chinese Restaurants.

SpringRolls_Vs_EggRolls.jpg.ba2eb776ca597bcf7f2ce93642409a1a.jpg

With Spring Rolls, because the rice paper is semi-transparent, there is almost an art to wrapping the ingredients in a pleasant "artful" manner (like the repetitive shrimp arranged in the photo).

Toliver

Toliver

This is my understanding of Spring Rolls versus Egg Rolls...

Spring Rolls are wrapped in softened rice paper and they are not usually cooked/fried. In my local Vietnamese Restaurants, they are usually served with a peanut sauce for dipping. 

Egg Rolls (not Chinese but American Chinese) are always fried and are usually served with that nuclear pink sweet sauce in my local American Chinese Restaurants.

SpringRolls_Vs_EggRolls.jpg.ba2eb776ca597bcf7f2ce93642409a1a.jpg

With Spring Rolls, because the rice paper is semi-transparent, there is almost an art to wrapping the ingredients in a pleasant "artful" manner (like the repetitive shrimp arranged in the photo.