• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Hsiao-Ching Chou explains why her family's restaurant served egg rolls rather than spring rolls.  Egg rolls were expected to be free.  And served with mustard sauce.  She adds spring rolls may be served with sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, or chili sauce.  At the moment I wouldn't turn down an egg roll myself.

Her book has recipes for spring rolls as well as for restaurant style egg rolls.

I'm not sure what your point is. I merely pointed out (again) that egg rolls are American-Chinese food, not Chinese. As far as I am concerned they are two separate cusines. Of course, she writes about them - she writes about American-Chinese food.

As to spring rolls, they are Chinese (Cantonese), but not as common as people seem to think. Anyway, Vietnam does them much better!

liuzhou

liuzhou

54 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Hsiao-Ching Chou explains why her family's restaurant served egg rolls rather than spring rolls.  Egg rolls were expected to be free.  And served with mustard sauce.  She adds spring rolls may be served with sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, or chili sauce.  At the moment I wouldn't turn down an egg roll myself.

Her book has recipes for spring rolls as well as for restaurant style egg rolls.

I'm not sure what your point is. I merely pointed out (again) that egg rolls are American-Chinese food not Chinese. As far as I am concerned they are two separate cusines. Of course, se writes about them - she writes about American-Chinese food.

As to spring rolls, they are Chinese (Cantonese), but not as common as people seem to think. Anyway, Vietnam does them much better!