• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

Coleman's plus hot water plus a small amount of vinegar = home made Chinese-American mustard. Or something like that. No idea why I tried to make it a zillion years ago, but that's what I remember. Replace your Coleman's every year. The way to use it up is to make a nice Italian mostarda. That would be various fruits preserved in a bath that includes LOTS of powdered mustard and LOTS of sugar, among other things.

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

Coleman's plus hot water plus a small amount of vinegar = home made Chinese mustard. Or something like that. No idea why I tried to make it a zillion years ago, but that's what I remember. Replace your Coleman's every year. The way to use it up is to make a nice Italian mostarda. That would be various fruits preserved in a bath that includes LOTS of powdered mustard and LOTS of sugar, among other things.