• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 hours ago, Toliver said:

It was a sinus-clearing mustard dipping sauce using Colman's Dry Mustard (a British product, I believe) in the bright yellow can.

Many of  the recipes I've seen for this mysterious "Chinese mustard" use Colman's Mustard. Yes. It is English.

My Chinese language food dictionary's entry for "mustard sauce" mentions that it was invented in Durham, England in 1729, then describes French and Italain mustard sauces. No mention of it being used in China.

20210210_110321.thumb.jpg.c391ce865a6bffbe8af6d3723da64dda.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Toliver said:

It was a sinus-clearing mustard dipping sauce using Colman's Dry Mustard (a British product, I believe) in the bright yellow can.

Many of  the recipes I've seen for this mysterious "Chinese mustard" use Colman's Mustard. Yes. It is English.

My Chinese language food dictionary's entry for "mustard sauce" only mentions that it was invented in Durham, England in 1729. No mention of it being used in China.

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Toliver said:

My Chinese food dictionary's entry for "mustard sauce" only mentions that it was invented in Durham, England in 1729. No mention of it being used in China.