• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best 3" or 4" deep cake pans?

mmlstarr

Hi all! Looking for recs for deep round cake pans. I'm baking more British recipes these days that require at least 7cm deep pans. Have looked at Fat Daddio, Wilton, and Magic lines and am thoroughly confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Michael

Daddio appears to have what you are looking for...why the confusion?

These certainly seem to fit the bill as well...

PME Aluminum Baking Pan Round 8 x 4, 8-Inch (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It just seemed that there were conflicting reviews for every brand, including some that claimed their Daddio pans were coming from disparate countries and were of varying quality. Was just wondering if any had first hand experience with any of these to help narrow the field. Thanks for your help!

I'm biased, because I'm baking professionally.  So please take this with a grain of salt ....

I would not buy Fat Daddio pans if you gave me twice the amount of money they cost.  They don't conduct heat well, and for a 3" tall pan, this will be a problem for you.  I own several of these pans and am always disappointed in how they bake.  They had odd sized square pans (11") so I bought them and regret it.  The corners are rounded, not square. They are lightweight pans.  They warp. Cakes don't rise as well in them (due to the pan weight and material).  I recently bought some 9x13 pans and they sent Fat Daddio.  They haven't gotten any better :(

I would recommend Magic Line, if you can get them.  They are the best pans I've ever used; and the majority of my pan inventory is Magic Line (we have 6 full sets of rounds from 16" to 5" in one inch increments; and 5 sets of squares 16, 14, 12, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 4.5) as well as some custom 11x15x2.5 rectangles and 8x2.5 rounds so I have a lot more experience with these pans.  They're heavy, cakes bake well, they wash well (use toothpicks in the corners LOL) and they never, ever warp.  It's harder for me to find them (not that I really need any more!) but I would even buy them on eBay if they aren't dented or damaged.

I would recommend getting 3" high pans - not the 4" tall ones.

rant over ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1