• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl 2021

heidih

1 hour ago, heidih said:

My kind of chicken fingers. How to you de-bone the legs and keep skin intact?

The skin is not fully intact, I will slice down 'inner' side of the leg along the bone, and carefully using a little pairing or boning knife slide along the bone, get under it, cut around the cartilage ends and usually end up with a large boneless leg, skin attached to one side.

That, or I just get lazy and ask my butcher to do it and pay an extra $1/lb..lol

• Like 1

Hear my confession. I have never once in my 73 years sat through a complete football game. The times anyone has tried to explain the rules they come out just as the went in, undigested. Even though I suspect the rules are fairly simple. It's a dangerous game and the outfits are, frankly, very weird. I have been to a Superbowl party once, against my better instincts, but spent most of it in the kitchen. I have never considered what to eat during a Super Bowl. The food usually sounds awful. My husband and I used to go a movie during the game. Never crowded and always a feeling of camaraderie among the patrons. So much for that tradition in 2021, although I admit we haven't done it for several years. 

My only enduring tradition is to hate Tom Brady, so even though I have allegiance to no team, I root against him. It is my personaI shame that I know what is number is, and a testament to how he has colonized our lives. I didn't even know there was a team called the Buccaneers until this year. I most likely will be eating during the Superbowl, but it will be an early dinner. Duck fat roast potatoes and a Caesar salad, which we would be eating on any other day.

As far back as I can remember it has been referred to as the STUPERbowl. I grew up in a household that watched two sports: tennis and baseball. I also grew up in a household supported by a Madison Avenue career. My dad was Don Draper, without the angst or the affairs, as far as I know, and also, as far as I know, lived his whole life without stealing the identity of a dead man. So I will be watching the ads. During the actual game time I will tune out the sound, read the Sunday paper and curse the Spelling Bee. The game will be on, because my husband does understand the rules and reads much faster than I do, so will be done with the paper for the most part and also is much more flexible person than me. Okay, my pathetic rant is done. I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Please everyone be careful. Stay home, don't accidentally inhale your beer through your nose or choke on a wing tip. For all of you who love football I hope it is an exciting game, not that I would know what that looked like.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Been to plenty of SB parties. Catered a few. No understanding of football though I went to a major football college (hello running back AD and QB Pat Haden in my time). Just an interesting tradition to me.  I tried one of the big avocados I got. Really great taste and texture. 

• Like 1