• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl 2021

heidih

This will certainly be a different kind of year on Feb 7. I am not a football fan but I do enjoy seeing what indulgent munchies people come up with. Or will this be a nostalgia comfort food year? Plans?

• Like 1

I've been a KC Chiefs fan since the first time they won the Superbowl. A lot of lean years with a few good ones in between. Pretty cool to have a good team again. 

Normally, I would fire up the smoker and do a brisket with a bunch of sides. But with the virus, it's just me and my wife this year and there's no way we could eat that in a month.  Add to that the fact that she doesn't like football. 

I think I'm doing apps. Deviled eggs, ABTs, maybe chile con queso. I did Korean grilled chicken gizzards one time that came out pretty good. I may try those again. 

Edited by chileheadmike
Can't spell. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

DH has informed me that he would like loaded nachos for dinner (as we have done before...the ultimate sheet pan meal). I'll put some shredded chicken on top to make it seem like actual food. Guacamole, of course.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Cheese is protein as are beans = actual food. I am hoping for decent avocado prices tomorrow. They were selling the in house guac the other day but I prefer to moosh my own. 

• Like 2

I can't find the recipe I used last time, but I think it went something like this.

Soy

Brown sugar

Garlic 

Ginger 

Gochujang

Sesame oil

Last time I made them, I just skewered them and grilled them over charcoal and they were pretty chewy.

Shelby at some point mentioned that she puts them in a pressure cooker first then fries. 

I plan to pressure cook then grill. 

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

1 minute ago, chileheadmike said:

I can't find the recipe I used last time, but I think it went something like this.

Soy

Brown sugar

Garlic 

Ginger 

Gochujang

Sesame oil

Last time I made them, I just skewered them and grilled them over charcoal and they were pretty chewy.

Shelby at some point mentioned that she puts them in a pressure cooker first then fries. 

Great idea.

The Japanese Izakaya's near me do some fantastic grilled chicken odds n ends.  I particularly like the fried cartilage.

For gizzards you would need to boil or pressure cook them first else they would be texturally challenging.  Hearts are also a good option to skewer and grill without any need for prior prep.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Soy

Brown sugar

Garlic 

Ginger 

Gochujang

Sesame oil

Ok so typical Korean seasonings. The pre-cook makes sense. I like chewy but they can cross the line.

• Like 1

Ok now I think I need to some gizzards that I think I have in the freezer.  Haven't done those in a while and Ronnie loves them. Pressure cooker makes them awesome.  I have done both ways...fry first and then IP,  or IP and then fry.  I prefer the first way.  

I am a dyed-in-the-wool Broncos fan--as is my Mom.  My Grammy and Ronnie are the same about the Chiefs so it's been fun over the years.  If the Broncos don't get to the playoffs my second team is the Saints (my step dads team.  He's from LA and Cajun).  So, this year..the Chiefs are in and I dislike Brady...so.....dang it, I have to root for the Chiefs I suppose....

Back to the food.  We're having pork ribs as the main dish.  Already smoked and I'll do them in the IP and then broil.  It's going to be COLD on Sunday so no cooking outside for us.  Ronnie also requested Little Smokies in the slow cooker (the usual BBQ sauce and jelly--that I hopefully have now that I think about it I might be in trouble there).  Sides to be determined by what I have here.  Not going to the store--everyone has Chiefs mania around here so I want to avoid during the pandemic for sure.

• Like 3

Oh Little Smokies. Never had them in that prep - just meatballs. When gramps was stuck with all the kids it was about all he could scrounge for dinner. We liked them (grandma at work as high rise cleaning lady - the parents - I have no idea what they were up to)

I am always fascinated by @Shelby fry then IP - but the crispy texture survives? I have no IP so I only know what I read.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh Little Smokies. Never had them in that prep - just meatballs. When gramps was stuck with all the kids it was about all he could scrounge for dinner. We liked them (grandma at work as high rise cleaning lady - the parents - I have no idea what they were up to)

I am always fascinated by @Shelby fry then IP - but the crispy texture survives? I have no IP so I only know what I read.

No, crispy texture most definitely does not survive.  But still good to us.  When I did it the other way around, the breading fell right off.  It would not stick when I tried to fry it.....maybe someone has had success but I have not.

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

No, crispy texture most definitely does not survive.  But still good to us.  When I did it the other way around, the breading fell right off.  It would not stick when I tried to fry it.....maybe someone has had success but I have not.

OK well that makes sense. I mean taste is the bottom line. 

• Like 1

The three of us are united in our dislike of Brady.  We very much like Mahomes.  We'll probably watch as long as the Chiefs are in the game, but if it looks like it's getting away from them, Jessica's got a movie on tap.  Mr. Kim will be working all day (it is Crossover Sunday in the VA Legislature: House bills go to the Senate and vice versa - a governmental do-si-do, if you will😁), but should be free by game time.  We've decided on:

Crab meltaways

Bang-Bang shrimp

Buffalo chicken dip

Crudites and dips

Hot Artichoke and Spinach dip

Cheeses & beef stick

This will be an all day buffet.  I'll make things in shifts.  Since it's just the three of us, I'm going to try to do small batches.  We'll be trying out Jessica's airfryer for the first time with the shrimp.

• Like 5

Assuming my nephew's COVID test comes back negative later today, it will just be me, my husband, and my sister, so I am not making a lot.  My husband asked for buffalo wings, which my sister and I don't eat, so I am also going to make a vegetable pizza.  We still follow Tom Brady even though he abandoned us 😉 so I guess we will root halfheartedly for Tampa Bay.  

• Like 2

Probably will make one of my favorite salsa recipes, served with both tortilla chips and even better, fresh chicarhones made at the local Mexican market.

IMG_1765.JPG

1 lb. tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed

1 small yellow onion, skin on, cut in half

4 cloves garlic, skin on

1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro

1 small jalapeno, chopped

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. each salt and black pepper

2 tsp. dried Mexican oregano

12 thin corn tortillas, cut into quarters

8 cups canola oil for frying

1 tsp. chipotle chili powder

1 tsp. each salt and black pepper

Make the Roasted Tomatillo Salsa-

Heat a cast-iron skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Do not add oil or butter, leave the skillet dry. Add the onion, flesh side down, to the skillet. Add the unpeeled garlic cloves to the skillet. Let the onion and garlic char and get some black bits and start to get soft, 10 minutes, turning the skillet a few times.

Remove the onion and garlic from the skillet. Remove the onion skin and cut it into chunks. Remove the skin from the garlic cloves.

Heat the broiler. Remove the husks from the tomatillos and rinse. Place the tomatillos in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Place the tomatillos under the broiler and roast until they start to char and soften, 8 minutes.

Place the tomatillos, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, sugar, oregano and salt and pepper in a food processor or blender. Blend the salsa to combine.

Make the Tortilla Chips and Serve-

Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or heavy stockpot to 350. Cut the corn tortillas in quarters. Deep-fry some of the tortilla wedges until golden, 2 minutes. Deep-fry the chips in batches. Drain the chips on a rack over a cookie sheet and season with chipotle chili powder, salt and pepper. Serve the chips warm with the tomatillo salsa.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

And I remembered another one of my favorite, Grilled Tri-Tip Sandwiches with Chimichurri.  

Grilled Tri-Tip Sandwich with Chimmichuri.JPG

For the Chimichurri Sauce-

2 cups Italian parsley leaves

1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves

1/2 cup fresh mint

4 cloves fresh garlic, minced

3 tbsp. red wine vinegar

1 tbsp. olive oil

salt and black pepper to taste

For the Grilled Tri-Tip-

3-4 lb. beef tri-tip roast

2 tbsp. olive oil

salt and black pepper

2 Loaves of French Baguette bread

1 cup mayonnaise

1 head fresh romaine or butter lettuce

Place the parsley, oregano, mint, garlic, red wine vinegar and jalapeno into a small blender and mince. You want the herbs and garlic to be finely minced, but not a paste. Season with salt and pepper. 

Spoon the mixture into a bowl, then stir in the olive oil. The sauce should be thick and suspended in the oil. (It’s best to stir in the olive oil rather than pour it in the blender as it will make the sauce too thick).

Grill the Tri-Tip and Make the Sandwiches-

Rub the tri-tip with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Heat a grill pan on the stove-top over medium-high heat and sear the tri-tip for 4-5 minutes per side until well-browned. Place the grill pan in a 400 oven and roast for an additional 15 minutes until the meat registers 135 on a meat thermometer for medium-rare. Let the meat rest 7-8 minutes before carving.

Cut each baguette into 3 sub-style long sandwich rolls, then cut each roll down the center but not fully through to create a pocket for the sandwich.

Spread some of the mayonnaise on each sandwich.  Top the mayonnaise with some of the fresh lettuce.  Place slices of the tri-tip on the lettuce and garnish with some of the chimichurri sauce.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Was just at market and they had some huge nice looking avocados - 4 for $5.  Will make my own tortilla chips. Although with a thick gauc I sometime prefer Fritos "Scoops" - they hold up better and I have a lifelong Frito fondness. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, David Ross said:

And I remembered another one of my favorite, Grilled Tri-Tip Sandwiches with Chimichurri.  

I don't even watch football, just browsed this thread to see what snacks or appies people were making. 

And I've been meaning to say how much I appreciate David Ross sharing his recipes the way he does. He's very generous with his time and techniques and presenting things in a standard recipe format as he does makes it super easy to print them off for cooking/keeping. 

Just because of the way that my life is right now, I haven't tried many of his recipes though I have printed and saved them and I'm always careful to note where they came from. I'm sure others have commented on his helpfulness, but I wanted to make a point of adding my voice. Thanks, David! 

As for Super Bowl, my husband will watch it but his food preferences for it are pretty simple. He said he wants a hot dog or two, nothing too fancy. Just decent buns and weiners with some hot mustard and fried onions. Well, I can handle that pretty easily, ha. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

As for Super Bowl, my husband will watch it but his food preferences for it are pretty simple. He said he wants a hot dog or two, nothing too fancy. Just decent buns and weiners with some hot mustard and fried onions. Well, I can handle that pretty easily, ha. 

A hot dog on a bun sturdy enough to hold up to the condiments is a pretty tasty thing.Oh you clicked my mind again on hot mustard. I almost pulled the trigger on Phillipe's yesterday which I love but have never had outside the restaurant  as am having lamb for Easter. I always get the lamb sandwich there. Time to ponder.https://www.philippes.com/about-us.html

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I find myself in the uncommon position of rooting for Tom Brady, because one of TB's reserve tight ends is a homeboy -- Tanner Hudson. His father and I literally shared a playpen. Sadly, Danny (the dad) died unexpectedly in November, and it just kills me he won't be around to watch. Of course, Tanner has seen time in only one playoff game, the Bucs being fairly deep at tight end.

Munchies? haven't thought. It'll just be me and Child A, and she won't be watching the game. I've committed to a pot roast on Saturday for a couple of her friends who will be visiting, so it may be vegetable beef soup with the remains, along with, likely, cheese dip and chips, maybe deviled eggs, maybe ham and cream cheese spread on sandwiches or crackers. Plenteous wine. And a sincere hope Tanner will get in the game and get to catch one.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

22 hours ago, David Ross said:

Grilled Tri-Tip Sandwich with Chimmichuri.JPG

2 cups Italian parsley leaves

1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves

1/2 cup fresh mint

4 cloves fresh garlic, minced

3 tbsp. red wine vinegar

1 tbsp. olive oil

salt and black pepper to taste

For the Grilled Tri-Tip-

3-4 lb. beef tri-tip roast

2 tbsp. olive oil

salt and black pepper

2 Loaves of French Baguette bread

1 cup mayonnaise

1 head fresh romaine or butter lettuce

Place the parsley, oregano, mint, garlic, red wine vinegar and jalapeno into a small blender and mince. You want the herbs and garlic to be finely minced, but not a paste. Season with salt and pepper. 

Spoon the mixture into a bowl, then stir in the olive oil. The sauce should be thick and suspended in the oil. (It’s best to stir in the olive oil rather than pour it in the blender as it will make the sauce too thick).

Grill the Tri-Tip and Make the Sandwiches-

Rub the tri-tip with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Heat a grill pan on the stove-top over medium-high heat and sear the tri-tip for 4-5 minutes per side until well-browned. Place the grill pan in a 400 oven and roast for an additional 15 minutes until the meat registers 135 on a meat thermometer for medium-rare. Let the meat rest 7-8 minutes before carving.

Cut each baguette into 3 sub-style long sandwich rolls, then cut each roll down the center but not fully through to create a pocket for the sandwich.

Spread some of the mayonnaise on each sandwich.  Top the mayonnaise with some of the fresh lettuce.  Place slices of the tri-tip on the lettuce and garnish with some of the chimichurri sauce.

I love chimichurri so much!  It is one of the few sauces that I've found in that is loaded with flavor and not spicy.  

• Like 3

After the Steve Young 49'ers Era (my team!) I briefly rotated between Ellway and the Broncos and later The BUS and the Steelers.  However I just have had no time these past years to watch any football.  I do however make a point to watch the superbowl (if just as an excuse to eat in front of the TV and have junk food with the kids).

This year we will do chicken fingers (boneless chicken legs skin on cut into strips, tossed in corn starch and spices and baked till crisp), nachos and salsa/guac and dipping sauces.

I will be cheering for KC, as I cannot stand that cheater, er, I mean, Tom Brady.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TicTac said:

This year we will do chicken fingers (boneless chicken legs skin on cut into strips, tossed in corn starch and spices and baked till crisp), nachos and salsa/guac and dipping sauces.

My kind of chicken fingers. How to you de-bone the legs and keep skin intact?